Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cases here in Philly, but I am aware of good viral hygiene. I have a really tough immune system, I don't get the flu shots because I don't get the flu. I do have a tendency to get bronchitis, but it is from a pollen allergy.

Well, the head of the U.S. CDC (Center for Disease Control) said that it will be showing up here and everyone should prepare. So today I stocked up on some non-perishable staples Also stocked up on soaping oils. :D Got to do something if we are home bound. Already have face masks, as I keep those handy for grass cutting (have grass allergies). I ordered some more, they are back ordered until April, so wonder if I'll get them at all.
Hopefully, I won't need any of this preparation, but as Grandma used to say, "Better safe, than sorry."

Am a little concerned about the stock markets as most of my retirement savings is there. Oh well, just have to hope for the best and realize a lot of other people are in the same boat.

Wish everyone a safe and healthy existence through this potential crisis.

Well, the head of the U.S. CDC (Center for Disease Control) said that it will be showing up here and everyone should prepare. So today I stocked up on some non-perishable staples Also stocked up on soaping oils. :D Got to do something if we are home bound. Already have face masks, as I keep those handy for grass cutting (have grass allergies). I ordered some more, they are back ordered until April, so wonder if I'll get them at all.
Hopefully, I won't need any of this preparation, but as Grandma used to say, "Better safe, than sorry."

Am a little concerned about the stock markets as most of my retirement savings is there. Oh well, just have to hope for the best and realize a lot of other people are in the same boat.

Wish everyone a safe and healthy existence through this potential crisis.
Don’t worry about the stock market. I trade for a living. No one knows if this is a correction or a crash (greater than 20% fall) but no matter what happens it will be ok over time. Do not, whatever you do, take all your money out. Invariably it will be right at the bottom (when fear is greatest) when you take it out. Just breathe. This too shall pass. Stress test your portfolio when it revives.

Don’t worry about the stock market. I trade for a living. No one knows if this is a correction or a crash (greater than 20% fall) but no matter what happens it will be ok over time. Do not, whatever you do, take all your money out. Invariably it will be right at the bottom (when fear is greatest) when you take it out. Just breathe. This too shall pass. Stress test your portfolio when it revives.
Thanks, good to have some words of reassurance from someone in the business!

Call me weird but I love history and specifically the impact disease has had on shaping the modern world. The bubonic plague was instrumental in the move towards modernization. WWI may have lasted much longer if it wasn't for the Spanish flu, Ebola has shown us nature fighting back against deforestation and habitat destruction and mosquitos are the most deadly vector to the human race.
Coronavirus is mild in most cases. We are nowhere near a pandemic, but just one country closing production has illustrated the global dependency of our world today.

And just for sh!ts and giggles I will leave you with this tidbit; the only time the US and USSR cooperated during the cold war was on smallpox eradication. They are also the two countries with stores that can be weaponized.

South Korea has been picking up a lot of the importing slack while China's ports have been shut down. Live coronavirus was just found in a shipping container in a South Korean port. I got this information from a friend who trade stocks as his sole source of income. With the information of the virus in SK the ports will likely be shut down. For this reason he sold all of his holding in imports and closed his trading account until "after the storm."

If you live in America start stocking up on daily items you may need over the coming months. Made-in- America items will of course still be available, but the American luxury of buying cheaper made-in-china products will slowly be trickling to a stop for awhile.

South Korea has been picking up a lot of the importing slack while China's ports have been shut down. Live coronavirus was just found in a shipping container in a South Korean port. I got this information from a friend who trade stocks as his sole source of income. With the information of the virus in SK the ports will likely be shut down. For this reason he sold all of his holding in imports and closed his trading account until "after the storm."e.
If you trade for a living you get out early and short sell or wait. If you are a long term investor hold and don't sell at the bottom.

I worry a bit about my parents and my sister who is a nurse. My dad lives on the outskirts of Ft. Lauderdale, a major cruise ship port in the US, and has been in and out of the hospital multiple times this past year or so with pneumonia. He doesn’t seem to fend off anything on his own anymore. We are already making plans at the university in case we have to close down at some point. I’m thankful that we don’t have undergrads on our campus, which is more of a research institute. I can’t imagine having to make readiness/contingency plans that involve 1000s of college students. As for the stock market, I’ve weathered many a downturn over my career. I’ve always been less of a speculator and more of a diversified, steady kind of investor, which is even more true as I get older.

I worry a bit about my parents and my sister who is a nurse. My dad lives on the outskirts of Ft. Lauderdale, a major cruise ship port in the US, and has been in and out of the hospital multiple times this past year or so with pneumonia.
I was thinking the same thing about my husband. He has COPD and already did a round of antibiotics and steroids this winter.

I work out at a gym where people were apparently raised by wolves and don't cover their coughs (I'm almost positive if I asked id hear a lot of "oh, but this just allergies!"). It's frustrating.

There are also so many people in the world who either don't have enough sick time or save their sick days for the kids and therefore they show up to work when they are VERY CLEARLY SICK.

It makes me so relieved that I work from home most days of the week

/endrant

In the US millions don’t have sick time or health insurance. They can’t afford to take time and can’t afford medical treatment if they do get sick. This illness may literally bankrupt families and if they need hospitalization could actually leave them homeless. I worry more about the impact disproportionately affecting lower wage workers. And yes, since they tend to be in the service industry with no sick days, our chance of catching it just went up.

Last edited:
There is no need for people to start panicking, but every person world wide should be taking measures to protect themselves. The same measures you would take for the flu: wash your hands, dont share drinks or utensils, use your elbow to press elevator buttons, and try to avoid crowded places.
As long as I have doctor appointments, the bolded will never happen. I have to travel.

If you live in America start stocking up on daily items you may need over the coming months. Made-in- America items will of course still be available, but the American luxury of buying cheaper made-in-china products will slowly be trickling to a stop for awhile.

I heard a couple of crazy things. One was that this came about from people eating "exotic" meat, more specifically pangolin meat. I also heard the death toll in Yunnan Province is insane. So many people including the head of one hospital who identified the virus died. If this all could have been prevented, that thought makes me very upset. It doesn't help that on a more selfish level on my part, there are teas I have to wait to try, if I even can because of coronavirus. Tea calms my nerves better than coffee.

I came back from a SE Asia cruise at the end of January. Both my wife and I were sick. Fever and all the other symptoms of the coronavirus. Aspirin and Tylenol kept our fever down somewhat, so the immigration in Taipei when we flew there from Hong Kong passed us through because we weren't staying in Taiwan. A lot of people on the ship were coughing and visibly "under the weather". Same goes for the flight from Taipei back to the US. No checks were performed when we landed in the US. My wife and I self-quarantined for a month, just in case. Our doctor said that we definitely had the flu, but without specialized tests, he could not verify that it was the coronavirus. I suspect that there are a lot of people like us who were infected, but it did not develop into a serious case, so it never gets reported.

I came back from a SE Asia cruise at the end of January. Both my wife and I were sick. Fever and all the other symptoms of the coronavirus. Aspirin and Tylenol kept our fever down somewhat, so the immigration in Taipei when we flew there from Hong Kong passed us through because we weren't staying in Taiwan. A lot of people on the ship were coughing and visibly "under the weather". Same goes for the flight from Taipei back to the US. No checks were performed when we landed in the US. My wife and I self-quarantined for a month, just in case. Our doctor said that we definitely had the flu, but without specialized tests, he could not verify that it was the coronavirus. I suspect that there are a lot of people like us who were infected, but it did not develop into a serious case, so it never gets reported.

How scary. Good on you for self-quarantining, even if I can't spell it.

How scary. Good on you for self-quarantining, even if I can't spell it.

Luckily, our pantry and deep freeze were well stocked before we left on the month long trip through SE Asia (Taiwan, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong). The last three days of the cruise, I slept through most of it, only getting out of bed to get some water and take some aspirin or tylenol. We had no idea about the coronavirus being an issue until we arrived in Hong Kong and saw the news.

I suspect that it is probably about the same as any other flu that I've had over the years, but it's been probably 40 years at least since I have had the flu and let's just say that at my age, it probably sucks a bit more than it did back then. Then again, at my age, even getting out of bed in the morning sucks -- I would like to think that if I had known I was going to live this long, I would not have done all the stupid things that I did in my younger days (and my joints would be in better shape), but I suspect that I would have still done them. :(

Call me weird but I love history and specifically the impact disease has had on shaping the modern world. The bubonic plague was instrumental in the move towards modernization. WWI may have lasted much longer if it wasn't for the Spanish flu, Ebola has shown us nature fighting back against deforestation and habitat destruction and mosquitos are the most deadly vector to the human race.
Coronavirus is mild in most cases. We are nowhere near a pandemic, but just one country closing production has illustrated the global dependency of our world today.

And just for sh!ts and giggles I will leave you with this tidbit; the only time the US and USSR cooperated during the cold war was on smallpox eradication. They are also the two countries with stores that can be weaponized.
There's a great podcast that I listen to that has covered most of this! It's called This Podcast Will Kill You and it's by 2 women who are in medical school studying infectious diseases!

I am a bit concerned as I will be travelling to France later this week. The news said there are currently 100 confirmed cases in France right now, luckily none of the cases are where I'll be traveling to. The hardest hit area is north of Paris and I'll be in Marseille, so fingers crossed that I don't have to quarantine myself when I get back!

Back