Confession. I'm a cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfities

Reaction score
But not a very good one. An imperfectly cut rectangular bar of soap has a bit of charm to it. Makes it look, I guess 'rustic' but I want to make some circle soaps from a tube mold and want them to be sliced pretty clean and uniform. Is there any way to do this without buying one of those crazy piano wire slicing apparatuses?

You could find something that it fits inside of easily but that isn't too much bigger, let x cms of the soap stand out and then cut using the edge of the object as a guide. Then show another x cms and cut again, using the edge as a guide

I just mentioned this in another thread, but I recently bought a cheese cutter to slice my soap. It's so much nicer than the previous method I was using. And it was like $16-ish. I put a piece of painter's tape on the board, so my bars are pretty uniform when I line them up with the edge of the tape. Is that the kind of advice you were looking for?

I bought a simple, cheap, plastic($14.95) mitre box. I then marked one inch past the 90 degree angle with a Sharpie right on the plastic. I push the soap down to the line and use a cutter(metal bench scraper or wavy potato cutter from Walmart) to go straight down that cut. Easy peasy. Just be sure you hold the log firmly on the side towards you to avoid it moving sideways. Best part about it is that I can just put it into the dishwasher for cleanup.

I basically do as cactuslily suggests - I have a 1 inch slot on my tall and skinny mold, but even for soap from my round mold I use it. I line the soap up OUTSIDE of the mold, with the soap flat against the outer edge, and my long knife in the two slots (to keep it straight) and cutting into the log on the outside. Works a treat.

I bought a simple, cheap, plastic($14.95) mitre box. I then marked one inch past the 90 degree angle with a Sharpie right on the plastic. I push the soap down to the line and use a cutter(metal bench scraper or wavy potato cutter from Walmart) to go straight down that cut. Easy peasy. Just be sure you hold the log firmly on the side towards you to avoid it moving sideways. Best part about it is that I can just put it into the dishwasher for cleanup.

Cheesy, buy a great idea. I love it.

Mine are imperfect when I cut as well. I just eye it and try to cut straight down. That's basically all I do before using it. I done even bevel the edges. Anyone else just leave them as is or do you think it is better the bevel?

I'm not trying to sell mine yet, so I don't have any input from anyone about what's best.

I bevel mine, but only because I really like the look of them. Not everyone does as it's a personal preference. I find beveling and wrapping/labeling my soaps therapeutic.

Back