Colors, pigments... And something happened to my soap! HELP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheirenya

Reaction score
I used color today at first time. Now soap looks..interesting... Color is very ugly, like puke.

Color was powder (not mica, but almost like it), first I added it 1/4 teaspoon with no result, then I added it more and more (like 1-2 tablespoonful!) but color was still very plain and now it looks like granny's pants in garbage. And my shirt is covered with that color! :x

Help? Did I put it too much or too little? What I did wrong?

Edit: I just checked it, color is gone, it looks like normal soap. :(

Edit:
Now my soap looks like this!
_DSC6083.jpg

Was it CP soap? Sometimes color does not hold up in the lye. But mine that did that did not disappear, it changed color.

:? Strange; something like that happened to me to when I needed to find out for myself the red I bought wasn't stable in high PH :p

Re: Colors, pigments... And something happened to my soap! H

Can you post your exact recipe...looks like maybe off on lye? Did you reach trace for certain?

100g coconut oil
40g shea
50g mango butter
220 olive oil
50 g almond oil
80g castor oil

72g lye
181g water

+ 1 dl coconut milk, fragrance oil and color.

I reached trace.

Hmmmm...recipe looks good...

Does the container that you mixed your lye/water have any residue on the bottom...like a thin sheet of lye?

Did you soap with high temps? That can cause separation.

What's it looking like now?

This is the point at which I plop it in my cockpot- stick blend it a bit and see what happens... if it still seperates...keep cooking for a bit and see what happens...

Keep us posted!

I rebatched it, now it's in mould and I wait... I can't say yet is it good or not, it is still soft.

And no thin sheet of lye or anything.
It might be too hot when I added lye... :eek: I was too hasty! :x

My first batch with coconut milk was good, but not now...

And I made another batch(but different recipe) and it doesn't look good either. I give up! This is not my day. :?

Cheirenya said:
I rebatched it, now it's in mould and I wait... I can't say yet is it good or not, it is still soft.

And no thin sheet of lye or anything.
It might be too hot when I added lye... :eek: I was too hasty! :x

My first batch with coconut milk was good, but not now...

And I made another batch(but different recipe) and it doesn't look good either. I give up! This is not my day. :?

When I have days like that...I just have to stop! Even if more batches are planned for that soaping session. Slow down...evaluate what you did...Try to figure out where you went wrong. Sounds like temperatures are the issue here

Yeah, I thought so too, too hot batch.

My very first soaps succeeded very well, but now nothing! :cry:

I would like use coconut milk again, but if it fails again! :(

Cheirenya said:
Yeah, I thought so too, too hot batch.

My very first soaps succeeded very well, but now nothing! :cry:

I would like use coconut milk again, but if it fails again! :(

I haven't tried milk except for powdered goat's milk...it just scares me :lol:

And I also love gelled soap and most people recommend not gelling milk soap...

I read at coconut milk doesn't over heat batch. o_O I have also used cow milk, but then I added whole batch to fridge and it was good soap...

Did you warm up your Coconut Milk? If you didn't that can cause separation. Also some colours will disappear and then reappear as time goes on. I can't tell what is in the bag... can you tell us?

I agree with whoever said just stop and have a break. Give it a rest for a day or two and just try clean up what's gone wrong. Tidy all your soaping area while you ponder it and then give it a go again when you feel fresh in a day or two. I'm sure you'll make good soaps again :)

Lindy said:
Did you warm up your Coconut Milk? If you didn't that can cause separation. Also some colours will disappear and then reappear as time goes on. I can't tell what is in the bag... can you tell us?

No I didn't, I added it at room temperature to oils and butters.

Seller said, at that color is like mica, but it's not mica. :D

And I rebatched my soap, it's ok but ugly.. :D

Back