Colorant ideas from the market

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas on how to color soap with basic things you can get at the supermarket.

For example, I saw somewhere (can't remember where) they used dried out spinach to give the soap a greenish color.

So do you have any other ideas on things I can use to color soap that are available at the local market?

Thanks!!

I've used loose eye shadow before with decent results. I made sure to get the ones that are mostly mica and oxides.

Beet and cabbage turn greeny brown and the cabbage smells really, really bad.

Not sure if hibiscus morphs or not. The only natural pink/red colorants I know of is madder root or rhubarb root.

Blue 1 food coloring will give a nice lavender to purple. Itis also fun to watch all the color morphing. Spirulina will give a nice bluish green but will fade to tan. Baby peas will give a light green

Paprika turns a love peachy colour as well, parsley ground into a powder also colours green. I also use comfrey leaves dried and crushed and it gives me a green soap as well. Marigolds, calendula petals and dandelion flowers will colour soap yellow gold. I hope this helps and that I am not repeating something that others have posted here.

I will say first, that it depends on the supermarket? Haha

Here we get these:
cocoa powder to get brown
annatto to get orange
moringa powder to get some sort of green
turmeric to get yellow to orange-ish tones
spirulina to get green
coffee to get brown
wheat grass to get green
curry powder to get orange-y brown
carrot (juice) to get yellow to orange-ish tones
parsley to get green
green tea to get a brownish green
papaya to get yellow to orange tones
avocado to get green

Do a Google search, there's lots of ideas online. You can get a better description to what I've given above, and also how tos, coz some are oil infusions, some purees/juices and some are powders.. Then maybe figure out which of those are available where you are.

Also remember that natural colorants fade over time..

Latest posts

Back