Color in face lotion?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

cerelife

Reaction score
OK, so I've finally tweaked a face lotion recipe that I love! I've been using it for 2 months now, and it's a total dream on my skin both with and without makeup, YAY!!
However, I want my (white) lotion to be a pale blue for purely aesthetic reasons - but NOT to have the color transfer onto the skin!
These are my thoughts so far:
1) Mica - I think this is out since I obviously don't want the color OR the sparkles to be visible on the face.
2) WSP Stained-Glass colors - again nope. Apparently they aren't safe for eyes or lips; and that's far too close for comfort.
3) Food Coloring - this would have been an option if I hadn't just made a ton of sweets for the holidays and had stained fingertips after using these. But maybe it wouldn't be an issue in small amounts in a lotion??
I haven't actually TRIED any of these yet, since the ingredients in the lotion are uber expensive and I wanted to get some feedback/alternate ideas before I tried them out.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used mica in lotions before. The trick I've found is to aim for a *very* light color in my lotion by using the darkest mica in that color in a teeny-tiny amount. When I tried using a light color, I ended up putting more in and it sparkled on my skin.

ETA: another trick... mix the mica with some oil first. Then put a droplet in of the colored oil at a time. You'll have a little better control over how much you're putting in.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
i too have used mica to lightly color lotion. No transfer or sparkles.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It is interesting, as my vanilla scented lotion is a rather odd looking dull beige/grey. A little bit of colour would be a good thing.

Latest posts