Color change from Asian Sandalwood FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the recent purchase from Fragrance Buddy I picked Asian Sandalwood. It said it contained no vanillin. So I made my blue soap from a tried-and-true recipe. I am so disappointed the way it turned a dirty, ugly color! Below is what I expected compared to what I got. (yes, the blue one is a used end piece) I recommend staying away from this FO for CP soap. Does anyone else have advice on what to avoid? Can anyone recommend a long-lasting, masculine fragrance that won't change colors?
blue.jpg

So sorry. A FO doesn't have to have vanilla to discolor. I looked at the reviews and there were only two, but one mentioned discoloration. I hope it smells good at least. Are you looking for a different Fragrance Buddy FO, or just one from anywhere? I've recently used

🙁 I had a similar experience recently with the FB fragrance Greek Island Breeze which has 0% vanillin. One review mentioned minor discoloration and one mentioned dark chocolate brown discoloration in CP soap. The resultant dark brown discoloration in my soap is about as dark as I’ve seen from an FO. IRL the soap looks almost black. On the upside, the scent is lovely.

So sorry. A FO doesn't have to have vanilla to discolor. I looked at the reviews and there were only two, but one mentioned discoloration. I hope it smells good at least. Are you looking for a different Fragrance Buddy FO, or just one from anywhere? I've recently used
Thanks Dibbles, I didn't realize non-vanillin types could also go dark. I thought they could yellow but didn't realize they would also go dark brown. It looks like the end of your last sentence dropped off. I'm in suspense! I don't care who the supplier is. I want to make my blue soap even a bit lighter, like sky blue.

🙁 I had a similar experience recently with the FB fragrance Greek Island Breeze which has 0% vanillin. One review mentioned minor discoloration and one mentioned dark chocolate brown discoloration in CP soap. The resultant dark brown discoloration in my soap is about as dark as I’ve seen from an FO. IRL the soap looks almost black. On the upside, the scent is lovely.
OMG! @Mobjack Bay! Just looked at your link. I was about to make a few bars today with Geek Island Breeze. That was my second choice fragrance and the same thing would have happened. You just saved me from more heartache. Thank you.

I bought loads of FO samples and some big bottles from Fragrance Buddy when they had their recent sale, and now I know 0% vanillin can still go dark. Did your dark soap stay dark? I can work with it if I know what to expect. Nag Champa from WSP turns very dark and looks great with a bit of gold sparkle. I gave some away as a housewarming gift. Now, about 6 months later I see it fading to a very light tan. Sigh!

It looks like the end of your last sentence dropped off. I'm in suspense!
Oops! I recently used redwood and cedar which smells really nice and isn't feminine despite the description of florals. But I used it in a woodgrain soap and used various tan/brown shades, so I can't say how dark it goes for sure. I don't use a lot of men's cologne types. I like FB Black Canyon, but it discolors to a golden/chestnut color so won't work for your blue. It's a pretty color though.

I love Vetyver from Bramble Berry. It behaves well and doesn't discolor, and also blends well with just about anything. I like to mix it with sandalwood. I'll think about it and see if I can remember any others that don't discolor. I don't tend to use a lot of men's cologne-type fragrances, and it seems like the ones I have used tend to discolor.

Anarchy from Nurture and Kingship from FB are both dupes of Lush Lord of Misrule. I've tested both and both discolor to a light to medium tan. The discoloration doesn't seem to bleed like the very dark discoloring FOs do, so maybe it could be used to scent part of the batter and worked into a design that way.

OMG! @Mobjack Bay! Just looked at your link. I was about to make a few bars today with Geek Island Breeze. That was my second choice fragrance and the same thing would have happened. You just saved me from more heartache. Thank you.

I bought loads of FO samples and some big bottles from Fragrance Buddy when they had their recent sale, and now I know 0% vanillin can still go dark. Did your dark soap stay dark? I can work with it if I know what to expect. Nag Champa from WSP turns very dark and looks great with a bit of gold sparkle. I gave some away as a housewarming gift. Now, about 6 months later I see it fading to a very light tan. Sigh!
As far as I can recall, none of the discoloring FOs I’ve used have gotten lighter over time. The color of the Greek Island Breeze soap hasn’t changed. Luckily, I haven’t had discoloration issues with any of the other FB FOs I bought during the recent sale. I think I mentioned which ones those are in the other thread. If not, I will let you know.

Anarchy from Nurture and Kingship from FB are both dupes of Lush Lord of Misrule. I've tested both and both discolor to a light to medium tan. The discoloration doesn't seem to bleed like the very dark discoloring FOs do, so maybe it could be used to scent part of the batter and worked into a design that way.
Anarchy has been sitting on my shelf for some time. Knowing is discolors (I tested it over a year ago), I want to be sure I find the right design for it. How is the scent retention? I’ve considered partially scenting the soap but worry it wouldn’t be strong enough.

Anarchy has been sitting on my shelf for some time. Knowing is discolors (I tested it over a year ago), I want to be sure I find the right design for it. How is the scent retention? I’ve considered partially scenting the soap but worry it wouldn’t be strong enough.
I find it is on the lighter side, but retention is good.

@dibbles and @Mobjack Bay, thank you for the detailed answers. I can use the Greek Island Breeze in a design now that I know what it does. I will also refer back the other thread again. It's long and I got lost in it :--)
In case anyone is interested, I know for certain the Gladiator from MMS does not discolor and smells good, but $$$.

Latest posts

Back