Coffee gardener's soap help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CecileBC

Reaction score
Hi all !
I am on my first batches of soap ever. SO much fun ! and a few hundred euros later..... (there should be a warning somewhere on how it can be dangerous for finances ! ;))

First batches were OK : basic soaps playing w/ different percentages of OO, Coconut, Sunflower, shea and castor.
1680511431444.jpeg

So I went on to a more complex one: Coffee soap (Elly's everyday).
1680511324966.jpeg

I did put a little too much water in the recipe, so it took 2 days before being able to cut it, but it's fine now.

However, there are some little white spots on the surface, and I cannot figure out if it's a soaping problem, or if it is the coffee grounds which left a little hole when the soap was cut. What do you think ?
1680511694858.jpeg

Recipe:
- Water 30.95% of oils
- Lye concentration 31.25%
- Superfat 6%
- Coconut oil 35%
- Canola oil 20%
- Olive oil 20%
- Shea butter 25%
Total water replaced by coffee brew + coffee ground added at medium trace.
PH: 9 after 2 days.

Also I am a little disappointed because it has no coffee scent at all. Probably too much heat with the NaOH to keep the scent? Would you advise to make a very strong brew and add some at trace; would it help keeping the coffee scent ?

And one last question: what else would you advise for a gardeners' soap ? some other additives ?

Thank you so much in advance !
Have a great day,

Cecile

Those look like stearic spots to me, maybe from the shea butter - what temp did you soap at? This can happen if you don’t heat your oils until they are clear. Search for threads on stearic spots you’ll find lots of good info.

Those look like stearic spots to me, maybe from the shea butter - what temp did you soap at? This can happen if you don’t heat your oils until they are clear. Search for threads on stearic spots you’ll find lots of good info.
Thanks Vicky,
I think I soaped at around 45°c... I will search for stearic spots on the forum. Thanks again !

Coffee in your soap will not have a lasting coffee scent. For that, you need to start looking into fragrance oils.

If you want to level up your gardeners soap, search the forum for blacksmith's soap.
Thank you Artemis !

Coffee is difficult to scent naturally as @artemis indicated.
Try infusing your oils with dry ground coffee. Grind or purchase a finely ground coffee. I use approximately 4 ounces of finely ground coffee to 8 ounces of oil. Sunflower, safflower, or other light color and low odor oils are good choices. I do not heat my infusions. Simply put everything together in jar and stir then cap. Every few days or as I remember the jar can be lightly shaken to encourage the coffee grounds to mix with the oil.

If you ever find Italian espresso coffee beans or ground coffee, this is a good choice for infusing as the coffee is generally roasted darker than most and seems to yield a better scent. Watch for mark down due to expiration date coffee. Since the coffee isn’t for drinking but only for scenting it is a good way to find savings. Keep beans or ground coffee in freezer to extend life.

It is economical to continue to add additional ground coffee and oil to the jar as the infused oil is used up. The bottom most sludge of coffee infused oil will make a good addition to soaps.

I use a very fine stainless mesh filter to pour through when using coffee infused oil from the infusion jar.

Have used coffee infused oils for lip balms, roller ball perfume, soaps, and skin balms.

Love coffee in all forms.

Coffee is difficult to scent naturally as @artemis indicated.
Try infusing your oils with dry ground coffee. Grind or purchase a finely ground coffee. I use approximately 4 ounces of finely ground coffee to 8 ounces of oil. Sunflower, safflower, or other light color and low odor oils are good choices. I do not heat my infusions. Simply put everything together in jar and stir then cap. Every few days or as I remember the jar can be lightly shaken to encourage the coffee grounds to mix with the oil.

If you ever find Italian espresso coffee beans or ground coffee, this is a good choice for infusing as the coffee is generally roasted darker than most and seems to yield a better scent. Watch for mark down due to expiration date coffee. Since the coffee isn’t for drinking but only for scenting it is a good way to find savings. Keep beans or ground coffee in freezer to extend life.

It is economical to continue to add additional ground coffee and oil to the jar as the infused oil is used up. The bottom most sludge of coffee infused oil will make a good addition to soaps.

I use a very fine stainless mesh filter to pour through when using coffee infused oil from the infusion jar.

Have used coffee infused oils for lip balms, roller ball perfume, soaps, and skin balms.

Love coffee in all forms.
Oh great bwtapestry !
Thanks so much, I also love coffee and was a little saddened to see it would not work, and I don't wish to add fragrances... I will definately try this oil infusion tonight, as I have espresso coffee beans waiting.
Cheers !

If you are going to use an infusion straight away, then use lots and lots of ground coffee. Just strain it really well. Put the strained out coffee back into the infusion. I haven't done this, but you may want to gently heat the mixture of ground coffee and oil. It might help the coffee infuse faster as you want to use it right away. Many people heat their infusions to use right away.

For soap you can also add a tiny bit of white clay (Kaolin) if you have it. It seems to help the scents stick. You do not need very much at all. 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp per lb of oils is plenty.

It is possible to buy coffee essential oil however it is horribly expensive. The coffee infusion I have has been sitting in glass jar for a few months. As time passes the infusion becomes better and better.

Good luck!

If you are going to use an infusion straight away, then use lots and lots of ground coffee. Just strain it really well. Put the strained out coffee back into the infusion. I haven't done this, but you may want to gently heat the mixture of ground coffee and oil. It might help the coffee infuse faster as you want to use it right away. Many people heat their infusions to use right away.

For soap you can also add a tiny bit of white clay (Kaolin) if you have it. It seems to help the scents stick. You do not need very much at all. 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp per lb of oils is plenty.

It is possible to buy coffee essential oil however it is horribly expensive. The coffee infusion I have has been sitting in glass jar for a few months. As time passes the infusion becomes better and better.

Good luck!
Yes you must be right: a little warming may help. I may infuse it with my Canola oil. I have some pink and some green clay.
I'll let you know how it went !
Thanks again !

Yeah, I too was disappointed when the coffee scent didn't survive the lye monster. As others have said, search for the blacksmith soap thread. I throw everything in -- coffee grounds, shredded loofah, poppy seeds.

You didn't ask for feedback on your recipe but I'll offer some anyway. :) I can tolerate a lot of coconut and "a lot" is in the high 20s. Other soapers here keep it under 20. Large amounts can leave skin feeling dry.

Keep us posted. Wish I could help on the spots but I can't tell if they are drag marks or stearic.

Yeah, I too was disappointed when the coffee scent didn't survive the lye monster. As others have said, search for the blacksmith soap thread. I throw everything in -- coffee grounds, shredded loofah, poppy seeds.

You didn't ask for feedback on your recipe but I'll offer some anyway. :) I can tolerate a lot of coconut and "a lot" is in the high 20s. Other soapers here keep it under 20. Large amounts can leave skin feeling dry.

Keep us posted. Wish I could help on the spots but I can't tell if they are drag marks or stearic.
Great advice Zing, thank you. I did a lather test on my first soaps, and did realize that some that had lots of coconut were drying on the skin. I'll keep your advice in mind.
By the way, I use CO for its lather properties: if I decrease the CO, do I put some sugar in the recipe to make up for the lather ? And maybe some Cocoa for the hardness ?

My coffee has been infused in oil overnight (warmed to about 60°c for a short time). Time for a new batch !

Have a great day,
Cecile.

I reckon they are air bubbles : )
Hi ! They very well could be.... I do a very small batch (300gr) to save my oils, and therefore my plunger is sometimes not fully inserted. Although I stir slowly afterwards and tap my pot, I guess very small bubbles could remain. Darn.
New batch today. I may do it without using the mixer (if not too long...)

Thanks, Have a nice day !

Great advice Zing, thank you. I did a lather test on my first soaps, and did realize that some that had lots of coconut were drying on the skin. I'll keep your advice in mind.
By the way, I use CO for its lather properties: if I decrease the CO, do I put some sugar in the recipe to make up for the lather ? And maybe some Cocoa for the hardness ?

My coffee has been infused in oil overnight (warmed to about 60°c for a short time). Time for a new batch !

Have a great day,
Cecile.
For my main recipe, I resisted lowering my coconut oil for forever because bubbles. When I lowered it, I did 2 things. I added sugar to my water before adding lye. The lye solution will be a pale yellow that has absolutely no effect on the final color. I also added some shea butter.
My beeswax soap at 3% is the hardest soap I have ever made.

Regarding air bubbles. Do you burp your stick blender? That means submerging it and tapping it on the bottom of the mixing bowl. Also, after I pour into my loaf mold, I pick up the mold 2 inches off the counter and then let go of it.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a question. Doesn't the coffee soap stain?
I made my first coffee soap recently, just 4 bars. They were very dark, nearly black, so I tested one on a white wash cloth. I left it on a very wet cloth overnight to give a worst-case scenario. You never know what people will do with your soap. After Laundering it still had a slight stain? I used double strength fresh brewed coffee and coffee fragrance, no grounds. Has anyone had stains from coffee soap?

For my main recipe, I resisted lowering my coconut oil for forever because bubbles. When I lowered it, I did 2 things. I added sugar to my water before adding lye. The lye solution will be a pale yellow that has absolutely no effect on the final color. I also added some shea butter.

Regarding air bubbles. Do you burp your stick blender? That means submerging it and tapping it on the bottom of the mixing bowl. Also, after I pour into my loaf mold, I pick up the mold 2 inches off the counter and then let go of it.
Yes I know what you mean, I also thought I coudn't do without coconut for its bubbles. I have made my second coffee soap batch this morning, lowering the coconut (25%... couldn't quite go lower this time but after what you said, I promise I'll try ;) ). And I increased the shea butter.
Does 3% beeswax make the batter yellowy ?

Air bubbles: yes I tap the blender, but because of such a small amount of oils, it is not quite immersed. I should look for a longer/slender pot for these tests. For this morning's coffee soap, I did not stick blend at all. We'll see !

Thanks Zing !

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a question. Doesn't the coffee soap stain?
I made my first coffee soap recently, just 4 bars. They were very dark, nearly black, so I tested one on a white wash cloth. I left it on a very wet cloth overnight to give a worst-case scenario. You never know what people will do with your soap. After Laundering it still had a slight stain? I used double strength fresh brewed coffee and coffee fragrance, no grounds. Has anyone had stains from coffee soap?
Hi Shirley-D !
Yes, my coffee soap does stain... (although I haven't left it on a cloth, but it left a brown stain on the soap dish - easily removed). But I see what you mean. I meant my soap to be a "gardeners' soap", to wash hand only. You raised a point though: you never know what people will do with your soap! I cannot imagine writing "for hands only" on the label....;(

Hi Zing,
Just a quick question: can you still gel the soap when adding sugar ? I mean can it still be covered and wrapped up, or will I get a volcano reaction if I do so ?
Thanks again !

Hi !
Here is an update on the second batch of coffee gardeners' soap.
1680698050332.jpeg

No white dots this time.

@bwtapestry and @Zing, following your advice : I lowered my coconut, increased the shea butter, infused the coffee grounds in warmed canola oil, and added the remaining infused coffee grounds at trace with some pink clay. Glad by the way that I did not have to go through the horrendous smell of coffee with lye ;) . The soap is softer than the first one (will most probably be more conditioning).

Conclusion: Slight coffee scent, but nothing great and only when having the soap under my nose - although I did put a lot of coffee to infuse (great dark colour by the way). Let's see what happens in a few weeks !

Thank you all !
Cecile.

Hi !
View attachment 71744
No white dots this time.

@bwtapestry and @Zing, following your advice : I lowered my coconut, increased the shea butter, infused the coffee grounds in warmed canola oil, and added the remaining infused coffee grounds at trace with some pink clay. Glad by the way that I did not have to go through the horrendous smell of coffee with lye ;) . The soap is softer than the first one (will most probably be more conditioning).

Conclusion: Slight coffee scent, but nothing great and only when having the soap under my nose - although I did put a lot of coffee to infuse (great dark colour by the way). Let's see what happens in a few weeks !

Thank you all !
Hi !
View attachment 71744
No white dots this time.

Thank you all !
Cecile.
Have found that coffee infusion gets stronger after sitting for some time. Keep the infusion sitting and let us know if you have more coffee scent next batch.

Hi Zing,
Just a quick question: can you still gel the soap when adding sugar ? I mean can it still be covered and wrapped up, or will I get a volcano reaction if I do so ?
Thanks again !
I gel every batch and noticed no difference when I started adding sugar. In the winter time I even turn on a heating pad for 4 hours underneath the loaf with a pile of towels on top. Actually I have never had an overheating experience or volcano. Great looking soap by the way. Now the wait....

I gel every batch and noticed no difference when I started adding sugar. In the winter time I even turn on a heating pad for 4 hours underneath the loaf with a pile of towels on top. Actually I have never had an overheating experience or volcano. Great looking soap by the way. Now the wait....
👍 👍

Have found that coffee infusion gets stronger after sitting for some time. Keep the infusion sitting and let us know if you have more coffee scent next batch.
Will do ! 👍

I love using sugar, whatever type I have on hand, and gel every batch to intensify natural colorants. Have never experienced a volcano, cracking, or anything of the sort.

The one issue I have had was when I CPOPed a batch in a silicone mold, which was definitely a mistake. Ended up with rash on the sides & bottom which needed to be trimmed off. Now, I just use my electric blanket & the new spiffy, thick-walled styrofoam coolers which I snag from my local pharmacy for free. They are amazing insulators!

Just dropping in to add from my experience w/ my coffee soaps. I add some cocoa powder to my recipe to enhance the brown, and though I too truly dislike the smell, I use the dark roast Bustelo coffee I get from the Dollar Tree stores @ $1.25/lb. I brew it @ 1 Tbsp/cup of water & let it steep in something insulated. I just pour into several qt Mason jars wrapped in a microfiber towels, then stick them (4) into a cooler I have that keeps them almost @ temp for 4 hours. Photos included. I do find that it smells a tiny bit less if I freeze the coffee first, that's what's in the bag, but it didn't make much of a difference, so I just didn't bother after that.
I don't add Shea butter, but have added cocoa butter to my recipes. My usual recipe is lard 45%, OO 40%, CO76F15%, Castor5%. It's a cheap recipe; makes beautiful, stable, lathering bars; you can adjust the oils/fat to accommodate any others, and/or for water conditions; or if someone decides that they NEED a vegan/kosher/non-smelly/hypoallergenic version of your soap.

*Just a note: the photos show the first time I made my coffee soap. It was using my French press, and it worked amazingly, it just wasn't enough for the massive order my son asked for the next time! 😍 I had to use a 5 gallon bucket, not just a bowl to mix things up.

Attachments

• IMG-20200425-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20200425-WA0003.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200617_155553_389.jpg
    IMG_20200617_155553_389.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20200525-WA0026.jpeg
    IMG-20200525-WA0026.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200606_033057_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200606_033057_MP.jpg