Coconut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops I'll try again. I like lavender with coconut I saw in a lotion at the nutrition store. Very nice combination.

I cannot even keep track of all of the coconut frgrance oils that I have used. I use Peaks Coconut Milk and it is nice. It just is not what I "dream" of for coconut. For MP soap, the best that I have found is Coconut from WSP. I have also used the one from SW and I agree that it has a very minty note to it. I think that there will never be a coconut that every truly makes me happy. Sigh...

Re:

siobhan1011 said:
I've found this oil, and find it smells just like fresh coconut flesh, I will let you know how it soaps :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400181436607? ... 1497.l2649

Ahhh I use their essential oils and was looking into trying it. I have the MSDS sheet off them too. However in the mean time I have tried this product:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=221002537322&view=all&tid=1039042702012

I thought it smelled harsh so I bought this off them that they recommended "Vanilla Cream" to sweeten it out & mix it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=320889058342&view=all&tid=945273842011

I used VUO Cocoa butter & Organic Creamed Coconut with a tiny bit of nutmeg EO in the soap too... I soaped the fragrance at 3%

All I can smell is this musky fake sorry excuse of a coconut disaster. :shock: Some people may like it but not me. Now I have tried it (it's the first FO I have ever used...) I do not like it. I have used only pure essential oils and and natural products as a customer and creator so the fake smells of FO's just don't seduce me at all. :roll: The musk smell is really hard to get rid of once it gets on things from the soap or where ever. It's driving me mad and that is the end of my FO & coconut and vanilla mission!

Originally I gave up looking to create natural coconut smells, I too wanted that virgin, unrefined, organic coconut scent but it is impossible! Best thing I suggest is, make lip balms instead, with lots of VUO Coconut oil!

Bella318 said:
I use Coconut Extreme from Just Scent. It's a STRONG, amazingly fresh coconut scent that smells just like you would imagine it to!
I am VERY picky about my coconut scents!!!
Use it alone or do as I do.. I mix it with Becky's Ultimate Vanilla (also from Just Scent and an amazing vanilla by itself!) and it's transformed into the yummiest, creamiest, truest coconut-vanilla scent I've ever tried!
Their prices are pretty fair and 1oz sample sizes are $2.75. I get a lot of my scents from them!

Coconut Extreme http://www.justscent.com/cgi-justsc...conut+extreme&add+to+cart.x=0&add+to+cart.y=0
Becky's Ultimate Vanilla http://www.justscent.com/cgi-justsc...IMATE+Vanilla&add+to+cart.x=0&add+to+cart.y=0
1oz Sample Quick Order http://www.justscent.com/samples.html

Bella, are you using this in CP soap?

Mrs Capa said:
Ahhh the never ending quest for the perfect coconut scent! I have surrendered to the FO but the one I have from Bee Beautiful (UK Supplier) is nice... it does have the sharp plastic smell but I want t a little bit of this bite but I need to sweeten it out, again it's going to be FO with it as Vanilla is another fragrance that kills off in CP process as you know.

My question is... does anyone have any ideas or experiencing on sweetning/spicing their coconut FO up? If so what did you use?

Coffee? (another fragrance that doesn't work naturally! Arrrrghhh!)

Vanilla?

Nutmeg?

Chocolate?

Can you see my angle here?

Hellllllllp!
:shock:

I like blending two parts coconut f.o. with one part peppermint e.o.

coconut milk by peak is good, but I know what everyone means, we want that stong plain coc smell, sigh, we will keep looking i guess.

I've just bought 1 kilo of 100% coconut fat. Solid like a rock.
Can I use this for soap, if I use the coconutoil 92¤ as calculation?
Have a dream about trying a 100% coconutsoap, would love to use some of it there.
Maybe 25% coconutfat to 75% coconutoil ?
Also bought a 59% coconutcream, solid too, might use it like coconutmilk.
Or, should I use both for a liquid detergent?
What do you think :?:

I never heard of coconut fat. I've only seen milk, cream, oil and flour and I love it all. :D

Coconutfat is the name in Europe.
It is also called Copha, Kremelta and Palmin.
Not easy to buy in USA, but used a lot in food/candy/icecream.

I have been reading a lot about it on the internet, think I can use the PalmKernelOil in soapcalc, should be similar to PKO,
but I am absolutely not sure.

I will keep on reading. :Kitten Love:

Sometimes I wish, English was my first language, it would make everything so much easier and faster.

Dorado said:
Coconutfat is the name in Europe.
It is also called Copha, Kremelta and Palmin.
Not easy to buy in USA, but used a lot in food/candy/icecream.

I have been reading a lot about it on the internet, think I can use the PalmKernelOil in soapcalc, should be similar to PKO,
but I am absolutely not sure.

I will keep on reading. :Kitten Love:

Sometimes I wish, English was my first language, it would make everything so much easier and faster.

Copha is Coconut oil, so your recipe of 25% coconut fat and 75% coconut oil would be a 100% coconut oil soap. I would use the CO - 72 as a calculation.

Oregon Trails Bee My Honey smells kind of coconuty to me. But not a true coconut because it's basically an OMH scent and I honestly don't smell honey in the finished bars. They are months old and I added honey to the recipe too. I have to say it's stuck pretty well, whatever it smells like.:???:

Has anyone tired BB's Coconut Cybilla? It is supposed to be true toasted coconut smell.

I made a big batch with this a week ago - in both HP and CP, it died completely - disappointing. I also put it in a batch of whipped soap and you can still smell it but not much. I tried a sample bottle of BB Island Coconut and in stayed pretty well.

Good day to all. I posted awhile back about coconut FO and how my CP with goat milk came out crumbly. I had never rebatched, so I took some advise from the forum and tried oven method and crockpot method NO luck with either BUT I had a really good coconut smell . I used coconut fo from Wellington. I've come to the conclusion that I am not good at rebatching......just don't get it Thanks for all the advise though

Giving this a bump. Hoping to hear from Bella or others who have used the Coconut Extreme in cp.
Does it morph? Discolor?

I have spent a lot of time, effort and a small fortune in search for a true coconut fragrance for CP soap. I'm extremely picky about fragrances. Any fruit or floral fragrance has to be dead-on without any morphing or under notes. You name the vendor and I've tried their coconut. If they didn't have fruity under notes or faded into nothing, the finished soap smelled like vomit or morphed into a weird petrochemical smell when used.

Early on in my quest for the perfect coconut, I briefly used Camden Grey. It was the best of the worst coconuts. The scent was light, and produced a petrochemical undernote that dissipated after 8 months. Who can wait 8 months to sell a batch? So, I stopped making it and gave up.

I stumbled upon Just Scent's Coconut Extreme while looking for another fragrance. I was reluctant to try it as I had no success with their other coconuts, but I figured what the heck, what's one more ... and I'm glad I did.

OOB, Coconut Extreme has a heady, rich coconut scent. You may detect a whiff of vanilla and a peach note, but the predominant scent is pure, fresh coconut. It doesn't smell like suntan oil, extract or coconut pie.

At 1 oz ppo at normal temps, the fragrance does not accelerate in CP soap. It discolors to a milk chocolate brown, about the color of a coconut shell, which I don't mind. I add coconut powder to give it texture.

Here's how Coconut Extreme is different from any other coconut I've tried:

• Sticks when unmolded. Other coconuts are seem to disappear and then bounce back after curing for a few weeks.
  • Pure coconut scent, not coconut and something else. Other coconuts include other, unidentified scents that resemble Hawaiian Tropic suntan oil or a pina colada.
  • You smell the coconut when using it, not coconut and plastic. So many coconut and vanilla fragrances include a compound that to my nose smells like vomit when running under warm water. This one does not. You only smell the coconut.

I cannot say for certain how long the scent holds or if it morphs over longer periods. I don't have any bars that are more than 6 months old, but all indicators point to this being a sticker that won't morph.

Hope this was helpful ... I've been reading this forum for years but never posted until I saw this tread and sympathized with the coconut conundrum.

OK first I want to say I grew up on a tropical island. We grew coconuts in our front yard and used them alot. Not only for eating but cooking in many ways. I also remember the suntan lotion very well.

Now I just tested with someone that grew up North in the mountains and is not a fan of coconut. So with all this said...

I ordered Coconut Caribe from Soapalooza. I soap this about a month ago. I RTCP with lard, palm, CO and safflower plus coconut milk and a salt. OOB this is a sweet smell but you smell the coconut in it. After I soap it, first to hit me was the vanilla and it did discolor to a light tan because of it. But now it is real close to the OOB. My friend I just ask to smell it and I did not tell Him what it was just what he smelled. He told me coconut right off the bat. I had him smell the OOB and he said the soap smelled a bit spicyer but was real close to the OOB. This is what I thought too. The vanilla seems to have taken a back seat. I do not like vanilla so I notice it real fast in anything. But I love coconut since I grew up with it and use it alot in many things like cooking.

This is Not the suntan version. But more a bake or cake version to me. It is growing on me fast too since it was soo easy to work with with no A. The fact is it is a month later and the scent of coconut is still there. There is no doubt about it at all. I will ask my hubby who also is not a fan of coconut but I am betting that is what he will say when he smells it. He likes vanilla but does not like coconut at all except in bath products like shampoo and only if it is not too over powering.

So so far this is a winner coconut. I will now have to buy there others and test them out. It could be do to the fact that I used lard, CO and coconut milk this scent stayed alot truer. I will have to give some to another friend and see what they say if it is a keeper or not for me. But for now its a :thumbup: for true scent from OOB then soaped on staying close to the OOB.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back