Coconut oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby

Reaction score
im bery excited to use my coconut oil soap, it will be 4 weeks cured next week. However, im worried because the bottom edges are cracking. Is it normal? As hard oils make hard soap. I added a very little coconut milk (canned).

Will love to know your experience with coconut oil soap.

Attachments

• 3395D455-5467-448F-A62E-F46F3C9F5643.png
    3395D455-5467-448F-A62E-F46F3C9F5643.png
    136 KB · Views: 28
i made this one yesterday and it came to false trace really quickly.. this is only my 2nd batch, so IDK if i mixed it well enough.. it was so thick i had to spoon it out.
IMG_0273.jpg

i made this one yesterday and it came to false trace really quickly.. this is only my 2nd batch, so IDK if i mixed it well enough.. it was so thick i had to spoon it out. View attachment 31006
Hi. Im not sure if you are asking me or wh
i made this one yesterday and it came to false trace really quickly.. this is only my 2nd batch, so IDK if i mixed it well enough.. it was so thick i had to spoon it out. View attachment 31006
hi. Im also having a hard time if i use shea butter, the soap batter get thick so fast. I think it was not a false trace, but instead it traced so fast coz of so many hard oils.

Hi. Im not sure if you are asking me or wh

hi. Im also having a hard time if i use shea butter, the soap batter get thick so fast. I think it was not a false trace, but instead it traced so fast coz of so many hard oils.

yeah.. just a general comment

I find CO soap to be very drying. My soaping started with the 100% CO/20% SF. Fried my face off. I reduced it down to 30, 20, 15% CO. All too drying. I'm now experimenting with no CO soap.

Another issue with the 100% CO soap is that its soluble without the stearic and palmitic acids.

Didn't' have any issues with cracking.

Hope it comes out for you.

Last edited:
The only way I'd use a high percentage CO soap is with salt bars. The recipe I use is 80% CO and has 50% of the oil weight of sea salt.

The higher the percentage of CO, the more drying (cleansing) your soap will be.

Abby
Was the coconut milk substituted for part of the amount of water required for the recipe?

If not excess water can cause cracking or warping as it cures. Especially as you’ve used full water in the recipe to start with.
I think you’ll find a more balanced bar might produce a milder soap and be easier to make.

I personally like plain coconut bars as much as I do salt bars. I will tell you that 4 weeks won't be a long enough cure. I cure my 100% CO soaps just like I do my salt bars, at least 4 months, longer is possible.

Latest posts

Back