coconut oil at walmart, much cheaper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
thanks to whoever told me about this, they sell 2 lbs for 5! i usuallu order online 7 lbs, but if i get desperate, its better than cub, one jar for 8$!

I always use the Lou Ann coconut oil. Works great and saves me some money in shipping fees which is KILLING me!

Hmmm. Now you guys got me thinking...
I have always bought my coconut oil at Wal Mart, and never posted it here because I thought it was kind of expensive.
I actually, (in my sooo extensive 2 batch soapmaking experience) always limited myself to use only oils I could get there, not because I thought they were cheaper, but because I don't have a credit card, so buying online is kinda complicated, and also because I can't afford to buy bulk.

So, when you say the Lou Ana oil is cheap...do you mean it's cheaper than buying bulk, or than buying small quantities online? :?

Inodoro Pereyra said:
Hmmm. Now you guys got me thinking...
I have always bought my coconut oil at Wal Mart, and never posted it here because I thought it was kind of expensive.
I actually, (in my sooo extensive 2 batch soapmaking experience) always limited myself to use only oils I could get there, not because I thought they were cheaper, but because I don't have a credit card, so buying online is kinda complicated, and also because I can't afford to buy bulk.

So, when you say the Lou Ana oil is cheap...do you mean it's cheaper than buying bulk, or than buying small quantities online? :?

let me think, i pay 17 +shipping for 7lbs, shipping is 900, so thats 3.70 lb, so , that would make walmart 5 for 2 lbs, 250 a lb!? i better buy all coc at walmart, im getting ripped!

let me think, i pay 17 +shipping for 7lbs, shipping is 900, so thats 3.70 lb, so , that would make walmart 5 for 2 lbs, 250 a lb!? i better buy all coc at walmart, im getting ripped!

Ouch! Yeah, im sorry to say, you are...
Even without the shipping, you're paying about $2.40 per pound, which is almost the same you'd be paying at Wal Mart, with the added advantage that you can buy only 2 pounds, and you can have it ASAP...!

Well, at least now you know... :)

Anyone know of any other store that sells coconut oil at a reasonable price other than Walmart? As weird as this sounds in this day and age, there is no Walmart nearby. Saw it at Whole Foods, but it was wayyy overpriced there.

Been through Safeway, Winco, Costco, and Fred Meyer and they didn't have any. :(

I remember buying my coconut oil from Walmart a year and a half or so ago when it was only 2.97 for the 2 lb. LuAnna (ah...those were the days!). Then, when the price started sky-rocketing I bought it online from Columbus in bulk, which saved me some money in the long run, but I'm now very blessed to have discovered a local bulk supplier of soaping supplies nearby that I can do pick-up orders with (yay, no shipping costs!). I spend $75.00 for 50 lbs, which comes out to $1.50 per lb.

As far as chain stores or grocery stores go, the only ones I've been able to find it at is Walmart, and at my local Asian market (they run about the same price, although they are different brands). Whole Foods and health food stores sell the virgin kind of coconut oil which, unfortunately, is way too expensive to soap with.

IrishLass

honor435 said:
thanks to whoever told me about this, they sell 2 lbs for 5! i usuallu order online 7 lbs, but if i get desperate, its better than cub, one jar for 8$!

Here it sells for $5.76 at WM...which is still expensive. Just a little over a year ago, it was selling for $2.36 for that same container. Then it went to a little over $4...and then to $5.76, like overnight. That made me mad, so I bought 35 pounds for $70 at a place 12 minutes from my daughter's house. I will never buy it from WM again.

with shipping I pay $1.48 per pound of coconut oil.

granted I buy a 50# bucket of it (Columbus Foods) but it doesn't go bad and it makes great fried chicken...

No WalMart near me, or anywhere I travel to has coconut oil. Lard, though, which is good - but even that is not straight lard... :(

Back