Coconut Milk or Goats Milk with CP Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristin2011

Reaction score
I made a new recipe I wanted to try with Coconut Milk or Goats Milk. The amount of water that I need is 4.5 oz according to the soapcalc.net What I was wondering is there any way that I could cut the water in half and still use the Coconut Milk? I noticed that someone on Youtube made a batch of cp soap with Goats Milk and added that to her lye water. How can you cut the water in half without having too much? Thanks to anyone who can provide some information or tips.

When I use coconut milk in my soap, I normally use 16.8 oz of water. So, when I want to use 4 oz of coconut milk, I only use 12.8 oz of water for the lye and add the coconut milk in at trace. I know, I know, it doesn't really make a difference if it's added at trace or earlier, but I personally like to add it at trace. :) I don't use goat's milk, so someone else can answer that. :)

I use 100% Goat's Milk and I freeze it into ice cubes then add my lye slowly to that. I have my lye bowl in a second container that is much bigger and I have ice cold water in it. I do the same with any milk I use with the exception of yogurt which I use as a small portion of my liquid and add at trace.

Love dairy soaps...

I use 100% goats milk as well, and freeze the milk just like Lindy said. I pretty much use the same process as Lindy does.

The one thing you need to make sure is that when you add your lye to the milk, make sure you do it slowly so you don't overheat it. I try and keep the temperature to no more than 90F (30C).

Michelle

coconut milk is mainly water anyway, I use coconut cream.

Minimum liquid as water and cream added at trace.

I do this with goats milk also. I find it much easier than using 100% frozen.

I like both but coconut milk appeals to my branding and vegans :D

I either use fresh goat's milk, store bought in the quart, or powdered coconut milk (mixed to cream instead of milk). I always use a master batch of 50% lye and add the rest of my liquid as milk, beer, aloe, etc at trace. It works beautifully every time, no issues like when I'd add it to the lye water (talk about smelly and ugly...and once I did the whole frozen milk cubes and instead of success, had curdled milk and raw leftover lye pellets to contend with - no thanks).

I use both. I dissolve the lye in minimum water required, then add room temp milk at emulsion, but before trace. I also don't gel, so that keeps my soaps lighter in color.

My soaps are vegan and I was keen to try adding some coconut milk/cream ... but now I have more questions.

If I use coconut milk powder ... is coconut cream achieved by adding more powder than for coconut milk?

If the amount of liquid I need 570 gm ... what would be considered the 'minimum' needed for the lye?

The idea of adding the made up milk/cream at emulsion or trace is very appealing. Has anyone discovered what temp is best to work at when adding the milk/cream?

Thanks heaps for any help you can give.

I also use both, I do the same as soap buddy I mix lye with minimum water and add either coconut or goat's milk at trace, works well for me..

~Teri

Bukawww said:
I like both but coconut milk appeals to my branding and vegans :D

I either use fresh goat's milk, store bought in the quart, or powdered coconut milk (mixed to cream instead of milk). I always use a master batch of 50% lye and add the rest of my liquid as milk, beer, aloe, etc at trace. It works beautifully every time, no issues like when I'd add it to the lye water (talk about smelly and ugly...and once I did the whole frozen milk cubes and instead of success, had curdled milk and raw leftover lye pellets to contend with - no thanks).

If you're using coconut milk for your vegan customers, make sure it doesn't have milk protein added to it. The kind that I bought from SF Herb Company has it as an additive and I've seen it elsewhere as well.

Ooh good point - it does have casein in it to prevent caking...so nevermind on the vegan thing :lol: I wasn't marketing them as such any way so no harm, no foul lol.

All I know is milk soap equals love UNLESS you like ungelled soap...so I only use it in soap I intend to gel now.

Dragonkaz said:
My soaps are vegan and I was keen to try adding some coconut milk/cream ... but now I have more questions.

If I use coconut milk powder ... is coconut cream achieved by adding more powder than for coconut milk?

If the amount of liquid I need 570 gm ... what would be considered the 'minimum' needed for the lye?

The idea of adding the made up milk/cream at emulsion or trace is very appealing. Has anyone discovered what temp is best to work at when adding the milk/cream?

Thanks heaps for any help you can give.

Dragonkaz, i cant answer all of your questions, but can answer a couple.

Liquid - your minimum water would be a little over the weight of your lye. I.e I use 95 grams of lye, and 266 of liquid so I split that into 106 water and 160 milk - just to keep it simple.

I dont know about temps. My latests (and I think the most successfull) was using milk and chocolate in a high % cocoa butter bar. I wasnt sure how long it would take for the batch to reach trace so I hand stirred it. It took a while, but I think it works well because it gives the batch time to really cool down. I added the milk JUST before trace, and combined lye and oils at about 110 (Im a bit over this room temp thing, gives me more head aches)
Sorry cant help with other questions :)

Back