Choosing ingredients for lotion making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meltiongson

Reaction score
Hi im new to lotion making and still learing. I decide to make some but im still searching for the right ingredients. Since my country has limited access on the raw materials, i really don't have alot of options and beside im also low on budget hahaha. Anyways im having a hard time choosing ingredients especially stable emulsifier and healthy preservative. The only emulsifiers that are available here are gms(glycol mono stearate) and ceteareth 20& cetearyl alcohol. Gms is cheaper compared to ceteareth 20& cetearyl alcohol. But i heard some issues using gms that it is not stable and seperates in time, since its low on hlb emulsifier. But i still want to consider on using it since its cheaper. I don't know much about ceteareth 20& cetearyl alchol but i think its good since its pricey than gms. And on preservative my options are phenoxyethanol and a paraben mixture preservtive (i don't know whats on it but im gonna ask the supplier). I think phenoxyethanol is better that paraben mixture since its healthier but i read on some blogs that some people get allergic reaction to it and its toxic, so that what bothers me. Hope u could help me on this one and give some tips and ideas so i could learn more. Thank u so much

I love susan's blog too.. I learn so many things and i want to try her basic lotion recipe.

I am assuming that the lotion is for personal use. If Gms is cheaper, I would use it. Make a small batch so the danger of separation over time is lessened. Phenoxyethanol is usually paired with another preservative to increase effectiveness against fungus. If you have access to Germall Plus liquid, it is a good multi-purpose preservative.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search?q=phenoxyethanol

Latest posts

Back