Chocolate Chips as Toppers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photoshadows

Reaction score
I've heard that some food items, like sugar sprinkles (though I see them all the time), can eventually cuase mold to form on the soap. I'm planning a Mint Chocolate Chip soap batch and was thinking of sprinkling Chocolate Chips on the top, but don't want mold forming or the chips to just melt. Am I likely to have either of these problems? Also, if I mixed chips into the batch itself, would it cause problems either by melting from the heat or by NOT melting when someone uses it in the shower? :)

-Christine
So many ideas, so little time!

I wouldn't use soap with real chocolate chips. But what you can do, is make soap with cocoa and cut it up to make it look like chocolate chunks and use that instead of the chips.

what I did one time was make whipped soap with cocoa and spread it very very thin of wax paper. pealed it off and it looked like shaved chocolate and use that as a topping.

You can also do a layered effect. I made a soap with chocolate in it, and scented with chocolate fo and then drizzled it over the other batch. (vanilla in that case)

But most often I make the chocolate soap ahead of time and have chocolate chunks embedded in the mint batch, like memadeit said.

photoshadows said:
I've heard that some food items, like sugar sprinkles (though I see them all the time), can eventually cuase mold to form on the soap. I'm planning a Mint Chocolate Chip soap batch and was thinking of sprinkling Chocolate Chips on the top, but don't want mold forming or the chips to just melt. Am I likely to have either of these problems? Also, if I mixed chips into the batch itself, would it cause problems either by melting from the heat or by NOT melting when someone uses it in the shower? :)

-Christine

Now why in the name of all that is holy, would you take perfectly good chocolate chips and mix them with SOAP, when you could just as easily mix them with some butter, some sugar, a couple of eggs, a little vanilla and a couple of cups of flour, and have something that you can use to fortify yourself after a long day making soap?

Would these chocolate chips dissolve when you use the soap? That would be my biggest question because I have used things as toppers before and they did not dissolve and ended up clogging the drain. :oops:

Muzhik said:
photoshadows said:

-Christine

Now why in the name of all that is holy, would you take perfectly good chocolate chips and mix them with SOAP, when you could just as easily mix them with some butter, some sugar, a couple of eggs, a little vanilla and a couple of cups of flour, and have something that you can use to fortify yourself after a long day making soap?

:lol: :lol: Mmmmm, yes, cookies. :lol: :lol:

Yeah cookies sound like a better idea for the real chocoalte :) Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably make some M&P chips or maybe I'll make M&P chocolate curls to make it look fancier.

Thanks again!

-Christine

I wouldn't want them sitting at the bottom of my shower when I used my soap. do what memadeit said.

photoshadows said:
Yeah cookies sound like a better idea for the real chocoalte :) Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably make some M&P chips or maybe I'll make M&P chocolate curls to make it look fancier.

Thanks again!

-Christine

M&P? Mint and Peanut cookies? Not my favorite, but to each his own...

:roll: :D

Soap isn't food. Some 'flavors' of soap smell good enough to eat, but, it's good to wash with, not to eat.

Grip a handful of chocolate chips for 1 minute and then open your hand and then decide if such would be good to wash with.

I made some soap chocolate chips with nizzy's whipped soap recipe and a piping bag. I just made little dots on wax paper. They turned out pretty neat. I colored them brown, made big ones and little ones. Worked out well..if you are still set on using them, you may want to try something like that.

that is really cool - making up chocolate looking soap, and then using a piping bag to make chocolate chip dots..
I guessing you used a disposal piping bag? and put chocolate fragrance oil in the soap batch??

Latest posts

Back