Cheap/easy fragrances for first time soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another source for inexpensive FO's that I use quite often is SaveOnScents out of Brooklyn NY. ( http://www.saveonscents.com )

Their FO's are reasonably good across the board (they make some excellent designer fragrance dupes), and you can get get some basic staple FO's like cinnamon, lime, lemon, vanilla, and the like for around $10 a pound. I use their Green Irish Tweed knockoff for my own personal soap and love it. :)

Lindy - thanks for the link, I'll download that program, although I think I will stick directly to the recipes in my book for the first few tries. I don't want to start messing with amounts until I know what I am doing.
Oh, and Berks(hire) is the county I live in. I live around 40 minutes by train from London, if that helps?
I had a stroke of luck though, in that I found this place http://akuawood.co.uk/home.php which just so happens to be in Reading, the town right next to mine (I go to school there!) which is very convenient for me. :) And they supply fairly large volumes of EOs and FOs (well, larger than the other place I found at least.)

Soapmomma - the dripping I was planning on using is in a jar from the supermarket, I wouldn't render it myself. The book mentions no unpleasant smell from that, but I figured if anything it wouldn't smell SWEET, would it? Either way, thanks for the links. I'm sure they'll come in handy sometime :D

MikeINPdx - Thanks a lot for the useful link! :)

Rah said:
Soapmomma - the dripping I was planning on using is in a jar from the supermarket, I wouldn't render it myself. The book mentions no unpleasant smell from that, but I figured if anything it wouldn't smell SWEET, would it? Either way, thanks for the links. I'm sure they'll come in handy sometime :D

No, mine doesn't smell sweet, it actually has no smell but I'm sure it makes a difference in what other oils you add and how you plan on soaping. I CPHP (crockpot) and use Lard, coconut oil, corn oil and castor. My scents stay true at 1 oz ppo. I've also made unscented bars and they truly were unscented. It all depends on your preference after experimenting a bit :D I hope to try tallow soon myself, got a source from the local meat packer finally! :D

Soapmomma - I'm just going to use one oil for my first try, but I'll be sure to experiment with others. I got a big jar of coconut oil which I'm excited about using (love coconut!) By the way, something which I've been wondering - does soap made with coconut oil smell of coconut? :eek:

LomondSoap - Ah, thanks so much! That'll really be helpful. :)

100% Coconut oil soap will not smell of coconut :( Normal coconut 76 is refined and deoderised. A lot of single oil soaps are lacking in their qualities which is why several oils are combined to give a rounded recipe with the right cleansing, conditioning, bubbles etc.
One of the exceptions is olive, a castille bar is hailed asoneof the best soaps, personally I don't care for them. With coconut you would want to do it with a high superfat/lye discount.

Ah right. Well I'm not going to use the coconut oil in my first soap, I'll save that for some other time. I'm just going to try a basic recipe with beef fat to try out the CP technique itself - not concerned with fancy qualities yet.
If all goes well I'll start trying other things :)

Best of luck.....even simple beef tallow soap handcrafted is better than the majority of store bought! :)

I am really looking forward to hearing all about your first CP batch, Rah! And we love pics.....

Has anyone mentioned to you this site?

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapm ... th1.htm#s3

Under the title 'cold process soap making basics and recipes' you will find excellent links, especially the 'getting soap to trace' video...if you are at all a visual learner you will find this short video amazingly helpful!

Tanya :)

Rah said:
Oh, and Berks(hire) is the county I live in. I live around 40 minutes by train from London, if that helps?
I had a stroke of luck though, in that I found this place http://akuawood.co.uk/home.php which just so happens to be in Reading, the town right next to mine (I go to school there!) which is very convenient for me. :) And they supply fairly large volumes of EOs and FOs (well, larger than the other place I found at least.)

You can always contact me (via e-mail) if you want to pick up items to save on postage. I live in Caversham and the workshop is in Sonning.

Happy soaping.

Akua

Hi Rah,

I started out using recipes from my book, then I started to check my lye and found that the recipes were lye heavy and I have since adjusted.....so I guess what I'm saying is that even though you are using recipes from a book you should always double check the lye amounts....

We're really looking forward to hearing about your first batch! :D :D :D

Akua - Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Lindy - Ah right, that's a bit worrying - I don't want caustic soap. :( I understand the meaning of lye discount now, so I guess it can't hurt to try it out.
And I know, I feel bad that I keep talking about it but haven't made it yet! I'm aiming to do it this weekend though. I just have a couple more things to get and then I'm all set to go.
And I will be sure to take some artistic photos for y'all. I'm currently in possession of (someone else's :twisted: ) fancy camera so I am going to take advantage of it!

Good luck to you Rah, I remember how I was when I made my first batch of soap. Such an exciting time.
Just you wait, make that first batch, then you'll be hooked!!
Handcrafted soap is lovely!

jadiebugs1 said:
hey Rah? Who's in the pic that is your avatar???

Oh, that's me. :) Pulling a lovely face and wearing a weird furry hat belonging to my friend, haha!

Back