Charcoal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pansy

Reaction score
When do you add the charcoal powder? With the oils or at trace?
Also, I've been making soap for years and I've never seen the term "gelling." What does that mean and how do you gel soap

Hi there,

I like to use some of my batch water to hydrate the charcoal first. Then I stickblend it into my oils before adding the lye solution. If you don't want to add it to the oils, then adding it at emulsion rather than trace is probably the next best option. The charcoal can thicken your batter very quickly, making it quite difficult to mix in well if you add it at trace.

Hi there,

I like to use some of my batch water to hydrate the charcoal first. Then I stickblend it into my oils before adding the lye solution. If you don't want to add it to the oils, then adding it at emulsion rather than trace is probably the next best option. The charcoal can thicken your batter very quickly, making it quite difficult to mix in well if you add it at trace.
Thank you

I like to gel, it makes the colors a bit more vibrant and allows me to unmold sooner.
Not gelled here, is this vibrant enough ? I also unmould after 10hrs in the frig.

IMG_20231121_101930.jpg

To gel or not to gel ~ that is the question of life itself! 😆
I personally chose not to gel since I usually make milk soaps and a common issue with milk soaps is scorching so, as a newbie, I followed all the rules for keeping my soap as cool as possible to keep a creamy appearance when finished. This includes putting my molds in the fridge for a few hours until they get past the hot phase. I did have one recipe get super hot on me while I was still stick blending so I slid that one in the freezer 😳 and it turned out fine 😁.
So I am team no gel, just by preference.
I will also add I have never had a soap get the gel ring in the middle on its own by chilling my soap 👍🏻

I have never had a soap get the gel ring in the middle on its own by chilling my soap 👍🏻

My first experience with lots of honey was in @earlene's blacksmith recipe. I got my first ever heat cracks. So the next time I tried, I figured cooling it would be the best way to prevent the heat cracks. I got my first ever partial gel. 😂

Latest posts

Back