charcoal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmerdaughter

Reaction score
My charcoal soap went gray instead of black. Used tablespoon per lb of oils. Activated charcoal from supplement section of drugstore. Mixed with a little castor oil before adding at trace. when I poured, it was jet black, turned gray while in mould. I didnt think charcoal morphed Sented with tee tree oil and lime EOs. Pics to follow, Its not ready to cut yet.

Oh I've had it morph lighter on me. :? To get a really nice black soap you are going to get grey lather but that is okay. My recommendation is to double the amount of charcoal you used to take it blacker.

Ok thanks Lindy. Did your soap continue to lighten as it cured?
These pics dont do it justice. It appears black, but trust me in real life its grey

ns1.JPG

ns2.JPG

Your soap is beautiful!

I've gotten very dark gray with charcoal as well. If you gel, it helps to darken it a bit more.

I have switched to black oxide for the most part. It's less messy too.

thanks its nice to hear, after making many soap I'm not proud of. All part of learning! This was my first time doing a spoon swirl. As I worked my batter went from medium to thick. that's why I have more of a layer on top. I need to work faster next time :lol: . Yeah the charcoal was messy, emptying it out of the capsules was a pain, I ruined a shirt. But I was going for an acne type soap, for my teenage brothers.

Beautiful soap! I use activated charcoal. It's super fine. Don't know if it's different than what's in the capsules, but my charcoal soap comes out very black at 1T PPO.

thefarmerdaughter said:
Ok thanks Lindy. Did your soap continue to lighten as it cured?
These pics dont do it justice. It appears black, but trust me in real life its grey

How did you get such a pretty and soft lime color in your soap? if you dont mind telling us, what color is it and from where? Those bars turned out beautiful!

Cake Baby said:
How did you get such a pretty and soft lime color in your soap? if you dont mind telling us, what color is it and from where? Those bars turned out beautiful!

Hehehehe, yes well its courtesy of crayola. I added a few shavings for kicks. Its for personal use only, so I figured what the heck.

Back