Charcoal and clay soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allane

Reaction score
I do enjoy charcoal and clay in soaps. However, when I combine the two, I get an ugly color. My solution? I infused charcoal and clay in water for four weeks and had a clear solution. This gave me a very lovely white soap.

If you decide to do this, be aware that charcoal will not readily dissolve if you put it in water. But as soon as you add the clay, it will pull the charcoal to the bottom of the container (bottle) in my case.

Grace

ummmm.... Charcoal filters the clay out of the water therefore the clear solution is just filtered water.

I do enjoy charcoal and clay in soaps. However, when I combine the two, I get an ugly color. My solution? I infused charcoal and clay in water for four weeks and had a clear solution. This gave me a very lovely white soap.

If you decide to do this, be aware that charcoal will not readily dissolve if you put it in water. But as soon as you add the clay, it will pull the charcoal to the bottom of the container (bottle) in my case.

Grace

From my knowledge of how AC works, what is happening with your suspension/solution, is that the AC is absorbing certain impurities from the clay, but it is not imparting anything to the water in terms of how normal infusions may with substances that are water soluable. AC is not water soluble, so what you really have is a clay solution that has been cleaned by the AC, similar to how a water filter works. Remember also AC is used by the medical profession to absorb certain poisons, such as arsenic, then the toxin-bound AC is then expelled from the body. (The human body does not digest AC.)

Here is a link including a list of some things AC can absorb and some things it cannot: https://www.thoughtco.com/how-does-activated-charcoal-work-604294

Or Saffron could be right and there is no clay left at all, which I suppose depends on the amount of AC surface available for absorption and the actual makeup of the clay.

Well, I guess all I have is filtered water !! But it makes a good bar of soap. Thanks for the replies.

Back