Cat urine smell?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

techiemeka

Reaction score
Hi. Made a beer soap with my usual recipe (OO, cocoa butter, castor), with ground oats and a blend of ylang ylang, bergamot & cedarwood ... I've heard that beer soap can give off an ammonia smell during curing but 2 months on and it still smell slike cat urine. Even my hubby with little sense of smell, noticed this morning when using the bar I put in the shower.
Any thoughts?

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the beer and not the ylang ylang? Sometimes florals hit my nose in a weird way and I get that 'eau de cat pee' smell :sick:

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Beer soap can have an ammonia smell when I make it, but the smell from the beer once the bars are cut is more of a yeasty, bready smell. Not ammonia. I thought the same as Doriettefarm -- ylang ylang smells like pee to me.

techiemeka

Reaction score
So are the ylang ylang notes such that some will smell it and others might not?

techiemeka

Reaction score
Well did a quick search on ylang ylang ... Seems it is one of those scents that does smell horrible and pee like to some people. That must be it.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ylang ylang and jasmine smell like cat pee to me, also. I have thrown away bottles of each. Patchouli makes me gag, so it went out the same way. Everyone is different.

Dahila

Reaction score
same here, as Susie, ylang ylang as patchouli is the ones I can not tolerate:)