Castor oil use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally don't notice a difference between superfatting and a lye discount. I throw all my oils in at once and just do a 6% discount and get the same results as if I had superfatted.

I also put my oils all in the pot together. Castor oil gives me nice big lather. I have very hard well water and have wondered whether or not the castor makes a difference. Then, I made a batch of soap and forgot to put the castor in. The soap was still nice but the lather was just not as good. I really felt the difference. Maybe it would not make as much of a difference in soft water areas, but I make sure to include it every time I soap. I use only .8 of an ounce for a 2lb batch!
Rita

When I use Castor, I use 5% and add it with all my oils. The soap is smooth and lathers beautifully.

I've done it both ways. Makes no difference when you add it so do it with the other oils to save yourself the "oh ****look at my castor sitting over there while my soap is in the mold over here" experience...

I love castor. I notice a nice difference in my soaps when it's included in my recipe. I add it to my oils up front like everyone else here.

Depending on my recipe, I use it at 5%, or 8%, or 10%, or 23%. Yes, you read that right- 23%. :lol:

The recipe in which I use 23% castor has a lot of tallow in it (well over half of my total oil/fat amount for that recipe is tallow). It makes a great bubbly/creamy bar of soap that is not sticky or soft at all.

IrishLass

I like castor at 3 to 5% in my veggie bars. It is reputed to help scent last longer. I suspect it's because of its viscosity.

Latest posts

Back