Castile soap swirls?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawninWA

Reaction score
This is only my second batch of soap, but this doesn't seem normal.

I made this Sunday, and cut it today (tuesday). It is castile soap, made with EVOO, superfat 5%, no fragrances or essential oils or anything else.

Is it supposed to be swirly?

14284823481_d3b815e8c5_c.jpg

I like the effect, but I don't know how I got it.

14288161215_cd65c8c3a3_c.jpg

And a gratuitous picture of all my soaps. All 2 batches :mrgreen:

14101480539_19ed6eb074_c.jpg

I took these each in different lighting, which is why the colors are so different. The castile soap color is closest to the second picture.

Not 100% sure what these swirls are, but I think it happens when the ingredients are not as thoroughly mixed as we think they are. I think it depends on many things, your particular stick blender, your recipe, the size of the batch, how well you mix. I think there are portions of the soap batter that don't get mixed in as well as others. I used to get these swirls/streaks sometimes too, (not just in castile, it could be any batch) but I've managed to eliminate them by doing one thing. After I take the stick blender out, and just before I pour the batter into the mold, I use the spatula to stir, making sure to scrape the bottom, the sides, and stir thoroughly, then use the spatula to scrape the batter into the mold. Since I've started doing this, I don't get the swirls/streaks any more. I agree, your soap is lovely, and I like the swirls too. Congrats on your first two batches, nice work! :clap:

That makes sense. When I was mixing it, it seemed like some of the oil kept separating to the top. I wonder if it was because I used oil from 2 bottles. When I was figuring everything for the lye calculator, I put 51 oz of oil, when I actually had 51 fl oz. It fell short when I put it on the scale, so my sister grabbed her bottle from her cupboard and we made up the difference with that. Same oil though, same brand and also EVOO.

Who knows, I'll mix better next time :).

Latest posts

Back