Castile/Castile-ish soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, thank you so much for your insight. I wish I’d paid more attention in Chemistry class :) is it safe to use?
If you can get everything dissolved to a clear solution, it is probably fine to use. I think - I am in no way chemistry savvy and IIRC when it happened to me, I ended up discarding it. Lesson learned and I never made that mistake again.

If you can get everything dissolved to a clear solution, it is probably fine to use. I think - I am in no way chemistry savvy and IIRC when it happened to me, I ended up discarding it. Lesson learned and I never made that mistake again.
Thank you! Yes no sense in risking it. Always more where that came from…
@Georgeandstella -- Two possibilities are the salt and the sugar.

Sodium chloride (aka table salt, the salt in sea water) will precipitate out of a sodium hydroxide solution if the sat concentration is above roughly 3% by weight. If you boiled the seawater, you probably concentrated the salt and then when you added the NaOH, the sodium chloride precipitated.

Sugar and NaOH react with each other before the sugar can properly dissolve. Dissolve sugar in water FIRST and then add the NaOH to the sugar solution. If you do this the other way around, the sugar may react with the NaOH and make a lumpy mess.
Hi, I was searching for this answer but couldn’t find it-Should I have boiled the seawater, or just let the sediments settle to the bottom and use the water straight? Does using salt water (boiled or not) change the soap into a salt bar (so I use mostly coconut oil or just any recipe ?) thank you 😊

I don't have a clue about whether one should boil seawater for making soap or let it sit or whatever. You'll have to ask people who actually use seawater what their thoughts are.

If some of the salt in your seawater did precipitate out when you added NaOH to the saltwater, then you made a "brine" (solsiefe sp?) soap. Salt is dissolved in water, then NaOH is added to that solution. The excess salt precipitates out and forms very small particles. If you dried the precipitated salt, it would be a fine powder.

A salt bar is soap that has a large excess of granular salt. The salt is added to the soap batter AFTER the soap batter is emulsified. While some of the salt will dissolved, most does not; it remains in large crystals. This is why you don't want to use a salt that has sharp edges, like Himalayan salt, because crystals with those sharp edges will remain in the soap.

I make it with real seawater and it's lovely.
Hi, I was searching for this answer but couldn’t find it-Should I have boiled the seawater, or just let the sediments settle to the bottom and use the water straight? Does using salt water (boiled or not) change the soap into a salt bar (so I use mostly coconut oil or just any recipe ?) thank you

This topic is very timely for me. I am headed to the beach this weekend. It’s an 8 hours drive so I will make sure to stock up on seawater. I am also wondering, is any special preparation needed? Boiling or straining? I have only used distilled water so am concerned about contamination. @KiwiMoose can you chime in as I know you soap with seawater?

I seem to recall the first time I made soap with seawater I did get some DOS. I don't believe the water was boiled, but it was strained. However, I made another batch at the same time that didn't get DOS - so who knows? The DOS may have been due to the Lavender EO in the first one.
These days I strain the water, then boil, then filter through a paper coffee filter. Last time the water was particularly dirty due to collecting it on a windy day when the sea was all churned up, so I made two passes through the coffee filter, changing the filter each time. There was still the teeniest bit of sediment on the bottom before I poured it into plastic bags for freezing - so i just left the last bit in the jug and chucked it.
@Georgeandstella - a salt bar is made with actual salt granules, so no this is not a salt bar.

I seem to recall the first time I made soap with seawater I did get some DOS. I don't believe the water was boiled, but it was strained. However, I made another batch at the same time that didn't get DOS - so who knows? The DOS may have been due to the Lavender EO in the first one.
These days I strain the water, then boil, then filter through a paper coffee filter. Last time the water was particularly dirty due to collecting it on a windy day when the sea was all churned up, so I made two passes through the coffee filter, changing the filter each time. There was still the teeniest bit of sediment on the bottom before I poured it into plastic bags for freezing - so i just left the last bit in the jug and chucked it.
@Georgeandstella - a salt bar is made with actual salt granules, so no this is not a salt bar.
Thank you!!! Appreciate the information! ❤️

This topic is very timely for me. I am headed to the beach this weekend. It’s an 8 hours drive so I will make sure to stock up on seawater. I am also wondering, is any special preparation needed? Boiling or straining? I have only used distilled water so am concerned about contamination. @KiwiMoose can you chime in as I know you soap with seawater?
The suggestions from @KiwiMoose to strain and filter seawater are good. Based on stories in the news about algae and sewage contamination at beaches your instinct to boil the seawater sounds like a smart idea.

Hello thank you! Yes on the salt bar advice. I’ve made some before and very different. I’m learning soap making and sometimes I get tangled up 🙃

don't you mean all lathered up? 🤪
I mean upside down, inside out, tangled up, lathered up and any other description of sooo much (fabulous) information into my little brain 🧼 I am truly loving this soap adventure (addiction). We are on a beach vacation and as I was packing for the trip, I hid all of my soap making equipment (including digital scale which was in my carry on bag) from my husband as I knew he would roll his eyes. But now if I can get a nice seawater bar, we will have a great souvenir/reminder of our lovely holiday ☀️ I have also figured out a way to bring seawater home in our suitcases for further trials. Oh and I’m collecting and drying seamoss for later use and projects…

Latest posts

Back