Canadian soaper in the UK

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireweed

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been lurking on this site for awhile now, and I think it's time for me to take the plunge and make myself known-- and I might even have something to offer and ideas to share, though I am awestruck by the creativity and skill I have seen on this site...

In particular, I would like to connect with any other UK soap makers around and perhaps get a swap going one day.

Thanks for maintaining such a great site, everyone-- I hope to contribute in the future :))

Hello from a Canadian soaper in Canada! :D I just joined up myself a couple of days ago, although I've been lurking too.

Lots of knowledgeable helpful people on here!

So where in the UK are you? My parents are from Yorkshire and Lancashire, and I have relatives all over England, Scotland and Wales.

Thanks, HCP-- I'm living in Bristol. Haven't met any fellow soap makers here, though I have found some great suppliers of chemicals and other ingredients!

Cool, CarmenJean, thanks! Where are you exactly...oh, I see, south of London kinda... Are there any other UK folk among us? Wanna start a swap someday (after I get my labeling worked out, of course...)?

LOL! Yes, a little south of London. :lol:

Um, there are a few UK soapers here and there - I've been trying to round them all up, but not much luck so far. :(

WOuld love to swap. What do you make? M&P? CP? HP? Anything else? :D

I was looking through the memberlist, there are a couple of UK types on the list (more likely who haven't posted their whereabouts!).

I have done a good deal of CP and am now exploring HP with some success. I'm expecting a load of isopropyl alcohol and KOH soon and will then take the plunge into liquid soap making. I also want to do some more transparent bar soaps when I can justify the purchase of 5L of glycerine (I can't bear to buy 1 litre, when it's so close to the price of 5!)... trying not to move to fast...

I did a batch of slightly cloudy soap with tumeric, which made it look just like Pears! I also make my own cleaning products: laundry soap and all purpose cleaner and soft scrub, mainly.

I checked out your website, you have your fingers in all sorts of pies, don't you! Looks like you're a very busy gal :)

Lisa

fireweed said:
I checked out your website, you have your fingers in all sorts of pies, don't you! Looks like you're a very busy gal :)

Lisa

Weeeelll ... ten fingers .... only another 7 things more to go!! LOL!! I am busy. Too creative for my own good really.

But you're doing lots of things too! I won't make clear soap - I just use M&P. Far easier for what I do. :wink:

Thanks everyone, glad to be here-- Kitn, I grew up in Saskatchewan :)

I'm off to visit the fragrance shop, then I will begin my first liquid soap experiment. I'm sooo excited! We miss our Dr. Bronners from back home-- can't seem to find it here very often and the price is outrageous when we do... will try my best to come close, wish me luck!

Amphora-- but I'm astonished at the price! I think I will order from Canada and pay the extra shipping... almost 8GBP for 100ml of peppermint! 1.70 for 10. Can't justify it in the long term, but I will show up for the 100 ml on Monday (they only day they sell the "big" bottles) in the short term because I need it...

Or else I will just start looking online for better deals... I use a lot of peppermint, so I'm sure I can find a better price.

Hi there,

I too have been lurking here :) i am in vancouver and husband moved here from the UK about 3-4 years ago, so still strong connection there.

caper farm - my husband is from yorkshire too (bradford) and one of my ex's is from lancs.

kay

Nice :)

YatYat, I hope he's enjoying Vancouver, though I'm sure there are things he misses about the UK. Does he ever want to come back, or is he a real Canuck now? It really is funny to hear British people tease each other about their various accents, I think Yorkshire is one of the fave targets of Bristolians... not that I can recognize them all, though I can now make a few distinctions...

fireweed said:
Nice :)

YatYat, I hope he's enjoying Vancouver, though I'm sure there are things he misses about the UK. Does he ever want to come back, or is he a real Canuck now? It really is funny to hear British people tease each other about their various accents, I think Yorkshire is one of the fave targets of Bristolians... not that I can recognize them all, though I can now make a few distinctions...

the only things he really misses are the pubs and landlord beer :D he used to get lost all the time driving here and his excuse was there just weren't any pubs around as landmarks :D other than that, he's settled in very well.

he doesn't have super strong accent like some of his friends and his mom, i usually only understand half of what they say.

we will be going back for a short visit next may for his sister's wedding.

have you moved to the uk permanently?

Yes, the pubs do enhance the quality of life here, as does the heightened spirit of drinking in general! I did go overboard on the beer appreciation when I first got here.. and chocolate, cheese, crisps, etc. Must have put on about 10 pounds in a month or so.

Yeah, we're here for an indefinite time period as this is where my husband needs to be for his industry (aerospace). One heck of an adjustment, way more than I bargained for, but I love it now.

Keep in touch-- we'll be here in the spring :)

Lisa

Back