Can you mince soap? I want to rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to try rebatching a soap and wondered what would happen if you put soap through a meat mincer. will it grind up into very small particles or clump and clog up the mincer?
I guess that the small bits will be better to rebatch than if I only grated it.
Also do you use less fragrance in a rebatch? Are citrus EO's longer lasting?
I want to try using some additives in this as well(I bought some glycerine and bentonite to try)
Thanks
Nick

I'm sorry - I missed this thread yesterday - I think that mincing the soap through a food grinder would work really well for rebatching! Good thinking. I can't help you with how much fragrance to add since I'm only just starting to play with EO's & FO's.

If you are going to add stuff to your rebatch - add it after you have it melted down so it doesn't interfere with the process.

When you're done - please post pictures!

Cheers
Lindy

I'm not sure what a meat 'mincer' is, a chef I am not. However, I have used a meat 'grinder'. If the mincer is anything like the grinder, I'd be leary of putting soft soap in it. If the soap you are rebatching is hard it shouldn't be a problem...

Let us know if you try this and how it works out for ya, k? I'm very curious too. :wink:

hmmm - I have to say I was assuming the soap is hard....

Hey NickySpaghetti - I believe that this will work for soap that has set up and is firm. If iit's still squishy soft then this would be a bad idea...Good thinking jadiebugs1..... :wink:

I wasn't think of using it on a soft soap, only one I have lying around.
I believe that mincer is the british word - grinder is probably the US equivalent.
Not sure when I will get round to it but I'll try to post when I eventually get it done.

@Nickyspaghetti: A bar of soft soap shouldn't be a problem. Meat tends to have the same soft consistency. You'll just have to clean it up afterwards, do you have an electric or manual Meat mincer? Cool :idea:
that'll be something I'll have to keep a eye out for when I go on one of my Goodwill and/or Flea market shopping hunting trips :lol:

@jadiebugs1: Meat mincer and grinder are the same thing.

I have electric and hand, but seeing how much easier the electric one is on meat I think I will use the electric. It will save about an 30 mins of cranking!

Just found this thread which is funny because tonight I put 2# of ugly soap through the meat grinder attachment for my kitchen aid.

Go slow, it's sticky stuff. I found it best to drop one small chunk down the chute and push it onto the screws with the wooden thing. If you try to fill the tube and then press the whole mass it clogs big time.

Now I've got a bag of sticky soap noodles. What to do next...

Latest posts

Back