Can someone Match a soap I use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyAnyc

Reaction score
Hey gang.

Being a complete newbie, I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question.

I have been buying this specific scented soap that I LOVE.
However, it's quite expensive. If I sent a sample of this soap
to any experienced member here, is it possible for someone to
make a close match?

It's a Patchouli & Sandalwood combination. I wrote to the company
for a more specific description.

Just wondering if this is achievable.

Thank you.
Joey

There are several companies that will match scents. tayloredconcepts.com will. You just send them a sample & they will duplicate the fragrance ino an oil & then you could make soaps, lotions, candles, etc with it.

Fragrance is touchy though, different scents smell different to different people. The chemist at taylored conceots may think they have made a dead on match but you may still find it to be a bit off, than again, your nose may match their nose & you may find it to be right on.

There are others who have chenists who match scents, but TC is the only one I have used.

Thanks Tabitha!

That was fast :)

I will definitely send out a sample right away.
I will keep my fingers crossed.

Any other place or person someone can recommend, please share.
I'll see who can do the perfect match (according to MY nose!)

I really appreciate the help.

Joey

Thanks Paul.

I'll be sure to come back and post which ones have truely matched the scent for me. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

:D

Can you name the soap company or what they call the soap? PM me if you rather. I have a directory where I might locate a close dupe!

Paul.... :wink:

Sure.

The company is Basin (http://www.basin.com)
The product: Fresh Cut Soap > Patchouli & Sandalwood
http://www.basin.com/web-cart/customer/product.php?productid=16249&cat=251&page=1

t_16249_01.jpg

Again, I know there is something else cut into this mixture.
I will try and find out what it was on the lable at the store, if they will tell me.

Also, it lists on their site that the soaps are either vegetable oil glycerin or olive oil based.
I don't know how to tell the difference on this particular soap.
It also states that their glycerin is 100%, NOT propylene glycol.

That's all I know for now.

PS. sending you a PM, Paul.

brian0523 said:
Wow - that's a really cool looking soap!!!
I wonder how they make that line of color in the middle?

I'm sure one of the expert soapers can answer that one.
I love this soap!!!

Joey

From the looks of it alone I am going to say it is melt & pour. To get the dark part, you pour a thin layer of colored M&P onto a cookie sheet & allow it to harden. Peel it off the cookie sheet & roll it up or ribbon it back & forth. Mist it w/ alcohol, drop it down into a loaf pan & pour hot white soap over it, hot enough to make it wiggle a bit more but not melt, bleed & get fuzzy.

To make your M&P soap more flexible & easier to bend, use 10oz of M&P soap base & 2oz of stairght liquid vegetable glycerin.

Did that take all the magic out of it? :wink:

Tabitha said:
From the looks of it alone I am going to say it is melt & pour. To get the dark part, you pour a thin layer of colored M&P onto a cookie sheet & allow it to harden. Peel it off the cookie sheet & roll it up or ribbon it back & forth. Mist it w/ alcohol, drop it down into a loaf pan & pour hot white soap over it, hot enough to make it wiggle a bit more but not melt, bleed & get fuzzy.

To make your M&P soap more flexible & easier to bend, use 10oz of M&P soap base & 2oz of stairght liquid vegetable glycerin.

Did that take all the magic out of it? :wink:

You're right Tab, it is M&P done exactly like you said. I went to the site and took a closer look. They were all over the Disney area in Orlando. They had several shops on Disney property. I think they told me they are made by a woman in Canada for them. Most of their soaps are M&P.

Paul, check this out: http://www.basin.com/web-cart/customer/home.php?cat=267

The bars that are a half circle or that are wider at the top than at the bottom (like the pans you make banana nut bread in) are the melt & pour glycerin soap bars. The more square or rectangle bars are going to be CP olive oil. The caffein bar is the only one that stumps me, it is in a rectangle mold like the other CP olive oil soap & is at the top w/ the CP soap but it look transluscent & all of their other transluscent soaps are M&P.

Yea, you're right Tab, the first soaps that sell for $5.99 for 3 ounces :shock: :shock: are CP and the ones listed next appear to be the M&P that sell for $4.95 :shock: for 3 ounces. I visited their shop at Downtown Disney at least a dozen times in the 4 years we lived in Kissimmee, FL. Their bath bombs are high too. You should see the tourists flock to that store and buy $100.00 worth of B&B stuff and never bat an eye. Once, I saw a total for a customer for $240.00 :shock: ! it is crazy the sales they generate. Like I said, the manager told me that a lady with many workers obviously, in Canada make the soaps and creams they sell, I'm a 100% sure of that.

The Basin and especially Lush sell redicously high priced B&B products! I wish I could sell my goat milk soaps for $5.00 and they are a big 4-1/2 ounce bar! And we're in a recession??? :roll:

Soapmaker Man said:
I visited their shop at Downtown Disney at least a dozen times in the 4 years we lived in Kissimmee, FL. Their bath bombs are high too. You should see the tourists flock to that store and buy $100.00 worth of B&B stuff and never bat an eye. Once, I saw a total for a customer for $240.00 :shock:

The Basin and especially Lush sell redicously high priced B&B products!

Yes, they are very expensive. They are the only ones that carry the specific scent, and I do stock up on them. Hence why I'm trying to get
a match of the scent used. I would want to make my own. A whole loaf of soap from them is $100 - 120. That's just wrong!

Joey

They have to price their items like that to cover their retail stores. Just imagine how much rent they pay at Disneyland/world, not to mention paying all the staff.

I was going to say the same. If I owned a brick and mortar, my prices would go up too, and would probably be around what they are charging. I also get $5-6 or more for my bars easily, I think its all in the marketing, pictures, descriptions, etc. :D

zajanatural said:
I was going to say the same. If I owned a brick and mortar, my prices would go up too, and would probably be around what they are charging. I also get $5-6 or more for my bars easily, I think its all in the marketing, pictures, descriptions, etc. :D

Yea Z, your etsy store and your regular web site are awesome in appearance. My bars are easily worth $5 to $6 each with the ingredients I use in them. I keep my prices low at my 2 etsy sites, hoping to follow the Wal-Mart sales ideal. One of our goals is to increase sales of our B&B line at Etsy. I'm so very busy in the TOG sales, I don't have the time any more to make as much soap!!! My wife maintains the other Etsy site of ours. 2008 hopefully, will be better at The Bath Emporium!

Paul... :wink:

Paul - that's interesting that you brought up Lush. I have never used their products, but honestly, I wasn't really impressed with their presentation on their site. I had a customer contact me and ask if I had ever seen Lush products and I hadn't so I checked it out. Honestly, it reminded me a little bit of how my soaps turned out before I had uniformed molds to use - all different sizes, etc. I contacted the customer and told her that she will be getting a lot more for her money through me! Yikes, they are pricey!!

My finds...

I sent in samples of the soap to the company Tailored Concepts.?.
And you guys were right, their mixture smelled NOTHING like the
soap. Not even close. However, after some more research, I found
that Primal Elements is the manufacturer of this soap.

My happy ending: They sell them by 5lb loaves for only $68!!!

Thanks again for everyones help with this.

XO
Joey

Back