can I use my handheld blender for cooking again?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbug

Reaction score
I bought a hand held blender to blend soap. If I clean it well, can I use it for cooking?????

Hi, I'm a relative novice myself, but my research says you should have no problem as long as it is cleaned throughly after use and is solid stainless steal. I have read some people wait until the following day to wash their utensils that they also use for food. The theory is as the soap has already saponified you are only washing soap off the appliance or utensils. I have read where others wash their supplies immediately and still use them for cooking.

I would think the exceptions to these would be when you are using wooden utensils (absorption of chemicals and/or fragrances), and in the use of plastic or silicone utensils and molds (fragrance oils can permeate these and and contaminate food flavors). I probably would also be leery of reusing my lye mixing container for food usage, instead I would CLEARLY mark it for lye use only. Hope this helps, and if someone with more experience has better advice I hope they will share.

Dotty

Dotty

You can if you want to. Just watch the essential and fragrance oil scents are well washed off first. Perhaps soak in a container of water with bi-carb soda in it to get rid of the smells. :wink:

You could with the ss items, but I like to keep all my soap and cooking gadgets/pots etc. separate.

I agree with Microdot! Just wash it super well, and take it apart because old soap can get caught in there.

Thanks everyone! I think I will use the blender for cooking, I hate to have 2 of them. I definitely have separate spoons that I use and containers.
I have been reading about people using crock-pot for hot process method.
I am kind of leery about using it for soap and cooking. I may have to pick up one at a yard sale if I decide to try it.

If it's for personal use, like everyone said, make sure you clean it well... If I were a customer looking at soap I highly doubt I would buy it if I knew the utensils they used to make it were also used to make their lasagna the night before.. In my opinion, it's almost rude in a way.. jmo

I can speak from experience and unless there are no nooks or hidden ridges (read the word hidden!), I wouldn't do it. We have had potato soup that smelled of Rose FO, it's quite an aquired taste, but you get used to it...

My last stickblender was plastic and it wasn't until it broke, that I realized that there were hidden nooks in it, that captured soap and held on to fragrance oils. Minute amounts, but enough to make lasagne and soup smell quite funky, no taste difference.

I bought 2 stickblenders now. A cheap one for soap making and a lovely stainless steel Krups Blender for cooking. The funny thing is, the expensive one could be used for both, it's completly sealed and stainless steel. But it's not going near the soap pot...carrot and coriander shouldn't smell funky!

food and soap

I speak from experience as well when I say keep your soaping tools separate. Stick blenders are fairly inexpensive, so I'm not sure what would keep you from having one just for soaping.

food and soap

I speak from experience as well when I say keep your soaping tools separate. Stick blenders are fairly inexpensive, so I'm not sure what would keep you from having one just for soaping.

Yum, Potato Rose Soap, sounds like a Martha special!

I don't mix food tools with soap tools. It just sounds yucky.

I'm brand new at this and plan to keep everything separate. Imagine having that great dessert you worked so hard to get right and with great anticipation take that first bite and something just doesn't seem right. It has some strange bite or taste that you just can't put your finger on. OH YEAH, IT TASTES LIKE SOAP! YUCK! :shock:

Probably won't ever happen, but I've seen stranger things happen. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back