Can I replace palm oil with lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistsz1

Reaction score
Hey,

I want my second bar of soap to be made out of olive oil. I've red that it would be good too add a bit of coconut oil to improve the lather and some palm oil to make it harder.

I can't find any palm oil and I don't know if it is worth the effort to buy it online. My first soap was made of lard and it's very hard, so my question is: Can I replace in such a recepie:

60 % olive oil
20 % coconut oil
20 % palm oil

the palm oil with lard or shall I just skip it and only use OO and CO?
Or should I buy the palm oil?

(I would use different lye amounts if needed of course)

Thank you!

Yes you can replace it with lard which makes a really good bar, just run the new oil through a lye calc.

I have replaced all the palm oil with lard, I found that it makes an excellent replacement. The only thing you have to make sure of is when you package it, you can no longer call it vegan. I have tried two bars side-by-side and I liked the lard bar better... always. It is similar to the palm in many ways... but I felt that it wasn't quite as drying.. I am not sure if this is a real thing or not. But I have terribly dry skin, and my skin loved the lard better.

I have replaced all the palm oil with lard, I found that it makes an excellent replacement. The only thing you have to make sure of is when you package it, you can no longer call it vegan. I have tried two bars side-by-side and I liked the lard bar better... always. It is similar to the palm in many ways... but I felt that it wasn't quite as drying.. I am not sure if this is a real thing or not. But I have terribly dry skin, and my skin loved the lard better.

Palm shortening also subs well for the palm. It does not fully replace palm for hardness, but is not bad. I prefer lard, but use palm shortening in some of my vegan soaps

Thank you all!
I've made it yesterday and it has a nice yellow color. I've added some lemon eo, so the smell is not so bad. I'll take it out of the form tomorrow and let it cure for some time. :smile:

Latest posts

Back