Can I make CP lard/lye to melt and pour?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugSoap

Reaction score
Just wondering, if I make a ton of naked plain Lard/lye soaps and let it cure 4 or more weeks, can I later use it like a melt and pour. I guess that would just be a re-batch?

So if I do that, then if the soap has cured already and I use it to make a fancy soap later, scents, colors, shapes, would it be ready to use soon as it cools and sets? I'm guessing if the soap already cured then all I would need to do would be dry out any extra moisture I've added when melted?

Would that work as I am thinking?

Yes, that is just rebatch and yes, it would be ready to use immediately but you'll want to let it dry quite a bit. To get a nice smooth rebatch, you need to add extra liquid and that can make your bars quite soft for a few weeks.

You could also make your own melt and pour base.

What is it that you are looking to get from the process? Might be other options.......

Mostly I am thinking now while I have time to make the base soap and let it cure ready to use, plain no color no scent bars. Later perhaps melt it down to color, scent, mold fancy etc... when I want to play but short on time.
If cured and ready to use as a melt and pour maybe use it for gifts and such.
I am not all that good at planning ahead. Knowing me it will be May 28th or June 1st when I think about Mom's my kids birthday in June, no time to cure a fancy soap for 4-6 weeks then.

I would not suggest you try a lard based soap as MP/rebatch. It will not be able to be made "pretty" like a true MP would. And the texture will be more...rustic...than elegant. The color won't come through evenly, it will look ... sort of grainy... I guess you could call it.

Having said all of that, though, any soaps made now will be wonderful by then. Why not make the soaps now, and let them have that good, long cure? Then you can spend your time later making a pretty basket or fancy bands for the soap, or some such.

Rebatch actually takes longer to make then regular CP and with the amount of water used to make it smooth, its takes weeks to dry back out and harden. If you want fast instant soap, look for a good quality melt & pour base or read up on how to make your own.

If you have free time on a sporadic basis, consider making batches every day or every other day when you do have free time, then you have plenty to last through the busy times.

Part of what I was thinking about is also soaps to give away at various group gatherings I go to.
Often I do not really know if I will be going or not till 1 or 2 weeks before.
If I was making soaps to give away at the events each soap would be special made for that event and themed to it.
I'd need to do more a melt and pour type soap at last minute for stuff like events since if I end up not going I'd have no use for 50-100 special little soaps themed for just that event.
Like now, in a couple weeks is an event and in early April another. I may go to both, or not go to either. I won't know for sure till almost time to go.

I'll look into the Melt N Pour more and see what I can find about making my own instead of buying it.

I was wanting to do basically a Lard if it worked because that is how I plan to make most my soaps, for now at least.

Been looking at allot of Mica recently and I like the looks a bit better in pictures showing the clear MP soap in a color than the CP soap in same color. Not for everything but for many of them.

Thanks.

I have that book marked now so I hope not to lose it. I've been doing a ton of reading up, and that looks like the easiest way to make MP maybe.
I've got a few things I can try, now if I just had the ingredients to try. LOL

I've read some things about some MP's sweating, I'll have to do more study on that also.
I wonder if the linked method sweats much or not?

I've read some things about some MP's sweating, I'll have to do more study on that also.
I wonder if the linked method sweats much or not?

With that much glycerin, probably. An ethyl alcohol/propylene glycol recipe would sweat a lot less.

Back