Can I get your thoughts on a cricut or silhouette?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
I've been considering making my life easier by creating my own boxes. The cost to have custom boxes made is astronomical. When I was quoted $1.50 per box, my eyes about bugged out of my head considering that I didn't ask for any labeling or anything, I'd do it myself. It's much cheaper going with wsp boxes but they aren't the design I want. So I've been looking at making them myself. Having to measure, cut, trim, and glue them all myself takes forever. I was thinking a cricut or silhouette could cut out half the work for me. But they aren't cheap.

I know many of you have experience here with using either one. Was it worth the price? Or do you wish you didn't bother? Any other thoughts?

I used to have both a cricut and a Silhouette at some point. I still have the silhouette and use it. I got rid if the cricut because I was not using it (it was older).

I remember I chose the silhouette because I could do my own shapes with it (though there was a learning curve with the software). Whereas the cricut required me to purchase the cartridges that had the shapes or fonts I needed. I don’t know if that is still the case as I hear the newer cricuts may be different.

I use the Silhouette mostly to cut vinyl nowadays. Initially I got it for scrapbooking stuff. Lately I have been making custom shirts so I have been cutting letters with it with heat transfer vinyl.
I have made some boxes before but I did them with other tools, but yes, you could cut them with a Silhouette and possibly a cricut. Depending on the size, you may be able to get 2 out of a 12x12 page. 12x12 is the most common size of the paper or card stock used and of the mats. However, I have the 12x24 mat for when I need to cut something longer. The mat has adhesive to keep the card stock in place. Then you need to use a tool to peel your shape off. You will probably also need a scorer tool to make the creases more easily later.
Personally I lack the patience and time to do my own boxes, but either machine will definitely speed up the cutting part. Overtime what you will need to replace is the blade and cutting mats, as they lose sharpness/stickiness.

Latest posts

Back