Can I Fix It?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cursivearts

Reaction score
I put a bar of milk and honey soap I made about 6 weeks ago in the shower today and it dried out my skin terribly! I went back and checked the recipe (it was the first thing I made when I got back into soaping) and I used 35% coconut oil, and the cleansing is higher than recommended. I've checked it with pH strips and zap tested. It's not lye heavy.

So my question is, could I rebatch it and just add in more moisturizing oils or would I have to add more lye too? Or should I just grate it and set it aside for laundry soap? Either way I'm going to have to grate it, so I guess I'll get to work. :eh:

I think there should be no issue with re-batching the soaps. With regards to adding lye, it depends on the amount of oil that you are adding. I won't recommend adding more lye unless you have great lye discount previously.

I shredded the whole thing and it's presently sitting in an old coconut oil bucket. I actually don't mind rebatching, but I am making more oatmeal milk and honey soap tonight (with a better recipe), so I am going to consider topping that with the confetti from this. However, I am leaning toward rebatching and adding the dragon's blood sample I got from BB along with some shea butter.

I have to admit, though I prefer cold-process for look, feel and pourability, I am one of those weirdos that kind of enjoys rebatching.

If you do rebatch coconut milk added will make the soap really nice & more mild. I have taken my rebatch and either grated or cubed to be included with other recipes. I hate rebatching but using the paper/wax milk carton helps with clean up. I just did this the past weekend, and was amazed that the EO didn't disappear. It sounds like you are fine either way you decide to go.

I wish I had known that sooner, OliveOil. I already added water for my rebatch but I have cubes of coconut milk in the freezer! I will keep it in mind for next time!

I usually use a little water, just so the soap doesn't stick, and then I add the coconut milk. I don't use much maybe two or three ice cubes for a crock pot full. I wish that I could give you more exact measurements,but you can always add more, so I start slow, and go by the texture.

Back