Can fragrances whiten your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
I made an Almond Joy inspired soap on Sunday. For the Almond portion I left the batter uncolored. I only colored the Coconut and Chocolate portions but as you can see, it looks like a 2 color soap when it should be 3. The TD is from Soap Goods and it's not the whitest so I put what I thought was a little too much because I wanted the white to show. Except for the glycerin rivers, I can't tell the white portion from the uncolored. I'm not sure if the Almond FO lightened the batter, if the Coconut FO slightly darkened the batter or if I should just invest in more TD from another supplier. I'd like to figure out where I went wrong so I can get the look I want the next time I make it.
20180815_155704.jpeg

It has never been my experience where a FO has lightened/whitened the batter. To me it looks as if your TD probably didn't work very well, and you should probably invest in a better quality one.
Sorry, I can't be of further help, but I'm sure others will chime in.

I would say the coconut darkened the batter and there is a good chance it will get darker.

What coconut is it and from what supplier? Many do discolor, some a lot.

I was afraid of that. Maybe I can use that TD for when I want a cream colored base lol. Thanks [emoji3]

I would say the coconut darkened the batter and there is a good chance it will get darker.

What coconut is it and from what supplier? Many do discolor, some a lot.
I got all 3 scents from Wellington Fragrance. They're not far from me so I usually get my orders in 2 days. I could pick them up but they close at the same time I get off of work. The only draw back is that there's no info on whether a scent will discolor, accelerate, etc.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Soap Making mobile app

I used to use Wellington but hated having to test them all out for performance. I live about 10 minutes from them but haven’t used them in several years. There is another one a bit further away in a Flat Rock called Southern Scentsations. They too don’t have performance for their FO but I have found a few I really like. They also carry Crafters Choice stuff for soapmaking.

Sometimes discoloration takes a little time to develop, too, so if you used your fragrances in only the separated out portions of batter, perhaps you will see more change. If you added a darkening FO to all batter, of course, you will see all of it darken.

Right now I see two distinct differences in the shades of 'white' in your photo, which I think is quite nice, even if not what you intended. I like how the whiter white outlines the 'brown' which looks a tad purplish on my screen (maybe more of a mauve).

Still, I'd probably look into a different supplier who does support reveiws or see if you can find some reviews either here or on another fragrance review site that has reviewed FOs from that supplier.

I split the batters evenly using a scale so there should be more of the whiter white than what I'm seeing. Although, when i first cut it, there was absolutely no distinction between the 2. Hopefully as it cures, one of the colors will pop a little more so you can tell that it's 3 colors.

Latest posts

Back