Camelia Tea Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chrissy this one sounds interesting - don't know anything about it - but it sounds interesting so I'll just keep you company until someone shows up who does knoe about it..... :D

x

i have used it to make some wonderful lotions for mature skin. it comes from the same shrub that we get tea leaves to drink. i feel that going thru the lye process would negate any medicinal value. it is a delightfully light oil. www.libertnatural.com sells it-or used to-i havent bought any for awhile.

Hi Chrissy - I haven't used it however from all I can find out about it, it is very similar to olive oil on the skin and quite a bit more expensive, so I agree with Heartsong that it may be best left for a leave-on product. You may like to add it to a rebatched soap so that it doesn't saponify?

Tanya :)

Okay guys I soaped it last night.
I made a facial soap with 5% Camelia Tea Oil, Olive, RBO, Organic Palm and Coconut. 10% Superfat, and I did two layers, almond meal in the bottom layer and wheatgerm in the top layer. It was a little cooler here yesterday so I put it into 160 degree oven (in the mould) and got full gell in 45 minutes. Took it out and let it cool. I washed my hands with a little piece when I unmoulded and got heaps of creamy lather, so it should cure great. I didn't fragrance it because I have intended it as a facial soap.
BTW: I am going for full gel because the last couple of times I have tried to stop gel I have ended up with half gel.

I got some on special at the supermarket, sort of a buy now think later thing!
I paid $5.25 for 1 litre, so that's cheaper than olive!
It soaped up quite well, Soapcalc shows it as quite moisturing and conditioning, so I thought I would give it a go. Seems to be a soft oil though. I wouldn't go over 10/15% depending on whatever other oils using.
Cathy I love your website!! I have it bookmarked and often head over there for inspiration!! You make fantastic soaps!

Thanks CrissyB! Awesome price for the oil...very envious. I'm not going to tell you what I paid for mine....too embarassing. :oops:

I would have probably paid more for it too, just to have it. You should see my soap cupboard, I have got heaps and heaps of oils that I buy just to have them and then don't use them because they are too expensive, macadamia, walnut, hazlenut, avocado, flaxseed.

Tanya I got it at Woolworths at Mayfield, top shelf next to macadamia oil and sesame oil. Also, the have RBO on spesh for $3.99 for the 1 Litre. That's pretty cheap!
I'm going there tomorrow so I can pick some up for you if you like?
I ordered some shea butter and cocoa butter from Aussie Soap Supplies. I have only ever used shea once, and never used cocoa so I can't wait!!
I'll be hunting out all your best recipes!!

Thanks Chrissy - I have to go out tomorrow anyway (visiting a sick neighbour in hospital) so I can call into a Woolies near there - this is exciting....I love the idea of Camellia Tea oil for a special soap. And as I use RBO in nearly every batch I will get some of that too - thanks for the heads up :wink:

Something I found with cocoa butter in soap - you need to temper it first so that is doesn't cause white streaks or marbling in your batch. Unless of course you want that effect. There is lots of info on how to do this, I found, but what I did was I sat a small saucepan into a larger one (homemade double boiler) and melted it over boiling water (simmering by this time) and kept it gently simmering for about 15 minutes after it had melted entirely. This can then reharden and will still be tempered for use in the future. If I had thought ahead enough I would have melted my entire stock and measured it into the weights I use for soap batches....and you are welcome to any of my recipes you want to try.

Tanya :)

Camelia Oil is a very light oil. It isn't as heavy as olive oil and it has little odour. I love it for skin and hair care. I have very dry hair and put just a little dab of Camelia oil on my hand and run my hands through my hair. It isn't oily and keeps my hair looking nice and shiney. I use it for making my Moisturizing Lotion for Mature Skin. It's a beautiful oil but I've never used it for soaping.

The last time I used it was for making whipped shea butter. Very nice. My daughter unfortunately used it all up very fast. I only got to use it a couple of times. :cry:

Back