Calling all hotel soapers...tips wanted

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m getting away for a few days...all to myself for 4 days. Since I really prefer to soap alone, I haven’t made much soap in 2020. This is guest house rental it only has a small fridge and microwave. Not sure I want to pack up a bunch of soap supplies, or how to soap with a small microwave so thought I’d ask those of you who soap in hotels how you do it.

I know! I’m such an introvert that locking myself away in my bedroom doesn’t really count as alone time. Maybe that makes me a control freak too....but I don’t want to think about someone else’s needs 365 days out of the year! I’ve been rather unhappy for a couple of months despite receiving some really good news, and I think I just need to live, see, and do something different because I feel “itchy”.

Last edited:
Hope you have an amazing time. I too am an introvert and like my alone time. I warm my oils in the microwave a lot. I only have a small one but it's worked just fine. I do my solid oils first and the just pour in my liquid oils. Even if using masterbatched oils I still warm them a little.

I only warm my oils in the microwave for soap. I find warming the solid oils and Coconut oil until melted (stir every 30 seconds, remove from microwave once the sources of Stearic and Palmitic FAs are melting and stir until clear), then slowly stirring in the liquid oils works well.
I plan every batch in advance for days/weeks, and haven't been on a vacation in years, so someone else is going to have to weigh in on relaxation/spontaneity. 😁 Enjoy!

I've been melting my oils in a microwave for years now.
Plan on small batches and nothing too intricate so you don't have to pack a bunch of colors and separate containers.

Enjoy your alone time, sounds wonderful.

Oh, alone time! That sounds wonderful, and I hope you enjoy every minute of it! I always melt my hard oils in the microwave. If you have to have a small container to melt the hard oils individually, just pour them each into your bigger container as they are melted and add the liquid oils to that. I tend to soap pretty cool, but the oils are clear when I start. I have not had a problem starting when they are a little cloudy either. My microwave is pretty old, but I have figured out that 3 minutes on power level 6 for a 2-3 pound batch of oils gets them to *almost* melted.

Maybe have some sodium lactate or use vinegar or salt to help harden so you can unmold faster and use the mold again if you don't plan to take many molds.

I have done this many times. You will have a great time!

Supplies to bring, in case you haven't started your list already:
Oils: You can buy oils at your destination, so only bring the ones you can't easily find, like PKO, and the butters. Unless you have some you want to use up & get rid of.
Lye: One new bottle should be plenty, but I've also brought my masterbatch lye with me & bought more as needed
Other Ingredients: Salt, sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Distilled water, Chelator of choice, ROE (I keep a small bottle for each of these for travel - don't bring a large bottle if you won't use it all) You can go out & get more distilled water
Molds: Keep it simple, but probably 2 - 4 of your favorite molds and 2 - 4 individual molds
Cutting: Your lowest profile cutter & flexible plastic cutting boards (for travel I use plastic placemats)
Trays for transport: Whatever you've got that will suffice to carry from car to hotel room & back home again
Vessels & Utensils: SB, silicone spatulas, whisk, mixing bowls (3 or 4), disposable plastic cups (a few), FO safe vessel, stir sticks or spoons to mix colors, etc.
Scale(s): don't forget this/these
Colorants: Just bring a few
Fragrances: Just bring a few (you only have 4 days)
AN EXTRA SURGE PROTECTOR! You will probably need additional plug-in spots
PPE: Whatever you wear at home, apron or your soaping clothes, gloves
Extras you will need: Dishwashing liquid, Towels, rags, light blankets, or whatever you might use for insulating and for CLEAN UP, trash bags (you may not want to leave piles of soapmaking trash in the room when you leave - I don't - I carry it out to the larger trash cans down the hall by the ice machine - I like to leave the room as clean as possible so the staff don't think something weird was going on in the room)
IF there is not a kitchen sink, bring a dishpan or buy one after you get there.
EXTRA HANGERS with clips (I keep the throw away plastic ones that new clothing comes on at the clothing stores; they are great for hanging wet towels on to dry.)

Your laptop or tablet or phone or whatever you use for your soaping recipes & to stay in touch with us!

Use the Ironing Board as a table (or shelf) to keep your supplies on. (Not as a work space - too wobbly.)

Heating in the Microwave: Make sure you have at least on mixing bowl that will fit in a small microwave oven. Sometimes they are pretty small.

Encouraging Gel:
I have found that inside a dresser drawer and well insulated, soap will gel just fine in a comfortable warm room. In the winter, I have turned the heater on high, with the soap mold on a tray on the luggage rack right next to the heater and left to go out for a bite, or to the store & come back to a very warm room and the soap had a good head start. Not necessary in all cases, but in the winter with a slow moving recipe, it can help.

A chair in front of the heater and plastic hangers with clips are good for drying your towels after clean up.

I have a soft-sided soapmaking carry-all type bag with wheels for the essentials, so I won't forget stuff. I have a small bag about the size of a make-up bag, that works perfectly for putting a few FO's, a few colorants, additives, small measuring spoons, gloves, & whatnot. If I want more additives & they don't fit in that bag, I have to figure out which ones are staying behind.

I have been known to bring a crockpot while travel soaping. It works well for heating oils. But with a microwave oven, it's not necessary.

If I think of anything else I've forgotten, I'll edit to include.

If you aren't planning on anything fancy, and not too many hard oils/butters, you could use the heat transfer method to melt your hard oils and butters. Works best if everything is cut into smaller chunks so it melts faster. I like making my lard-SM soaps this way, because I can SB the powdered goat milk into the soft oils, along with any scent, clays, colors, etc., while the hard ones are being melted by the hot lye solution.

I have done this many times. You will have a great time!

Supplies to bring, in case you haven't started your list already:
Oils: You can buy oils at your destination, so only bring the ones you can't easily find, like PKO, and the butters. Unless you have some you want to use up & get rid of.
Lye: One new bottle should be plenty, but I've also brought my masterbatch lye with me & bought more as needed
Other Ingredients: Salt, sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Distilled water, Chelator of choice, ROE (I keep a small bottle for each of these for travel - don't bring a large bottle if you won't use it all) You can go out & get more distilled water
Molds: Keep it simple, but probably 2 - 4 of your favorite molds and 2 - 4 individual molds
Cutting: Your lowest profile cutter & flexible plastic cutting boards (for travel I use plastic placemats)
Trays for transport: Whatever you've got that will suffice to carry from car to hotel room & back home again
Vessels & Utensils: SB, silicone spatulas, whisk, mixing bowls (3 or 4), disposable plastic cups (a few), FO safe vessel, stir sticks or spoons to mix colors, etc.
Scale(s): don't forget this/these
Colorants: Just bring a few
Fragrances: Just bring a few (you only have 4 days)
AN EXTRA SURGE PROTECTOR! You will probably need additional plug-in spots
PPE: Whatever you wear at home, apron or your soaping clothes, gloves
Extras you will need: Dishwashing liquid, Towels, rags, light blankets, or whatever you might use for insulating and for CLEAN UP, trash bags (you may not want to leave piles of soapmaking trash in the room when you leave - I don't - I carry it out to the larger trash cans down the hall by the ice machine - I like to leave the room as clean as possible so the staff don't think something weird was going on in the room)
IF there is not a kitchen sink, bring a dishpan or buy one after you get there.
EXTRA HANGERS with clips (I keep the throw away plastic ones that new clothing comes on at the clothing stores; they are great for hanging wet towels on to dry.)

Your laptop or tablet or phone or whatever you use for your soaping recipes & to stay in touch with us!

Use the Ironing Board as a table (or shelf) to keep your supplies on. (Not as a work space - too wobbly.)

Heating in the Microwave: Make sure you have at least on mixing bowl that will fit in a small microwave oven. Sometimes they are pretty small.

Encouraging Gel: I have found that inside a dresser drawer and well insulated, soap will gel just fine in a comfortable warm room. In the winter, I have turned the heater on high, with the soap mold on a tray on the luggage rack right next to the heater and left to go out for a bite, or to the store & come back to a very warm room and the soap had a good head start. Not necessary in all cases, but in the winter with a slow moving recipe, it can help.

A chair in front of the heater and plastic hangers with clips are good for drying your towels after clean up.

I have a soft-sided soapmaking carry-all type bag with wheels for the essentials, so I won't forget stuff. I have a small bag about the size of a make-up bag, that works perfectly for putting a few FO's, a few colorants, additives, small measuring spoons, gloves, & whatnot. If I want more additives & they don't fit in that bag, I have to figure out which ones are staying behind.

I have been known to bring a crockpot while travel soaping. It works well for heating oils. But with a microwave oven, it's not necessary.

If I think of anything else I've forgotten, I'll edit to include.

Earlene I can't thank you enough for supplying the list! I'm really short on time as I just found out there's only a half day of school tomorrow so my 12 year old needs to get to the park and socialize (properly masked and social distanced and closely supervised) which takes several hours out of my time, and my trip starts at 3 pm. Seriously - this is a huge help! (organization is not my forte - especially under pressure).

Thinking of making salt bars - fewest ingredients and I have none on my curing rack.

You learn something new everyday. I didn’t know hotel soaping was a thing. Only been making soap for a couple of months but never occurred to me that people make soap in hotel rooms! If I asked my wife for a couple of days to myself to make soap in a hotel room there would be divorce papers for me to sign before I could pack up my equipment.

You can go to Home Depot or a paint store and buy small HDPE buckets with lids to masterbatch your oils in. Pre-melt all your hard oils then measure in your liquid oils put the lid on the buckets. They will stay at least soft for you. I assume you will be making small batches so the small 1/2 gallon buckets should work. You can also masterbatch your lye in small pitchers you can get from Big lots. Then transport everything in a crate. That is what I would do when I used to go to a soap collective class.

You can go to Home Depot or a paint store and buy small HDPE buckets with lids to masterbatch your oils in. Pre-melt all your hard oils then measure in your liquid oils put the lid on the buckets. They will stay at least soft for you. I assume you will be making small batches so the small 1/2 gallon buckets should work. You can also masterbatch your lye in small pitchers you can get from Big lots. Then transport everything in a crate. That is what I would do when I used to go to a soap collective class.

YES! Thank you - found exactly that at Home Depot!

YES! Thank you - found exactly that at Home Depot!
The dollar tree has really cool medium and large size plastic canisters with screw on lids that I use to get all my ingredients together. I have some of the home depot containers as well... but I like the dollar tree ones better because they handle the lye solution better (the home depot containers are marked up, maybe burnt, from just measuring lye crystals), they have the screw on lid so more secure and they have nifty little hand grips for easy pouring! Have fun on your soaping get away!!

Back