Buying a cutter...help with bar size

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
After admiring it from afar for a while now, I have finally decided to purchase a cutter from Bud (if anyone has any reason why I should NOT buy this cutter, please let me know!)

Anyway, I have been using a cheese slicer and I usually cut my bars 1 1/8 inch. Bud will gladly accommodate this size with a custom build, but it's got me wondering if I should just go with the standard 1"? I'd love to be able to get a little bit more out of a loaf.

For those of you who cut at 1", do you find shrinkage causes them to get even thinner? I don't know, the 1" bars seem kind of small to me.

I realize it's just a matter of personal preference, but ordering the cutter makes it such a permanent decision...I'd love to get some advice from others.

On a related note, I find that using the wire cheese slicer often leaves little bumps/pimples on the face of my bars. I often have to use a planer to shave these off. I'm hoping a real cutter won't do this???

I have Bud's cutter and i luuuuuvvv it. As a matter of fact i have 2.. 1 is the 1" multi and the other is the single. My suggestion is, if you are not sure on what size to get, then get the single one. This way you can cut any size you like.

If you produce lotsa soaps, then of course, getting a multi is a time saver. What molds are you using? Me, i'm using mostly tall ones, so 1" is sufficient. However, i've seen ppl using a wide mold, and their cut is a slightly chunkier one (1 1/4"), and i think it looks prettier. So i guess that depends on the molds you're using.

Bud is a lovely person to deal with, his craftmanship is top notch and he ships properly with proper cushion and all that. I can go on and on, but you get the picture...

About the white bumps, you can still get those with a wire cutter. I think it has something to do with incorporating too much air into the batter when you make the soap. Just remember to always burp your sb and you'll be fine. I haven't got white bumps for a while now.

I was fortunate and my husband made my multi bar cutter and it cuts just under 1 1/4 inches and I love the size of the bars. They are a bit larger than most I've seen but I like it as do my customers. It's certainly a personal choice so go with what you prefer.

Ditto on the single cutter. I bought it specifically because I wasn't 100% sure what bar size I would like best. So I can experiment and adjust. Bud makes wonderful products, I highly recommend purchasing from him!!

I also get the bumps occasionally with the wire cutter. As seven said, it may be too much air in the batter. I have suspected either the hardness of the loaf when cutting or the tension of the wire(s) as contributors to that, but not completely sure. I just plane them.

^^^
Yep, hardness matters too. I once had a batch that was too hard (was using a high palm recipe and totally forgot about it) and boy did i get a mess out of it. If you're used to using the cutter, you'll know when a soap is the right time to cut. You can feel it as you cut.

I was gonna go with the tank, but the price is too high for me. Found Bud and read the glowing reviews, and it was the best decision i've made.

Oh, and always remember to clean the wires before each cut.

Mine is made by Cumberland Acoustics, best investment I ever made. I looked at Bud's, I didn't have anything that really stood out to me that I didn't like, just liked the one I ordered better. I went with a 1" but wish I would've went 1 1/4", as the thicker bar would allow for shrinkage during cure and planing if needed and still leave approximately a 1" bar.

My hubby also made my multi cutter, it cuts 14 bars @ 1.25" giving me approx 5.5 -6oz bars. Weight depends on how high I pile the soap in my mold. I have hdpe molds that are a little wider than most wood log molds. My customers love the larger bars that I sell for the same price most sell 1" bars. I always bevel the bottom edge to make them easier to use. You really need to determine what weight bars you want to end up with then have your cutter made to your measurement, especially if you are selling. Customers appreciate consistency

I'm still using prototype molds and cutting using a miter box. When I first started I was making bars Hulk hand size because that is what fit my hand. They looked comical in my SIL hands. She has tiny little hobbit hands and claims my 3" rounds cut at 1 1/8 in are too big also. I have down sized my bars but still prefer a little bit of thickness. I have been cutting both bars and rounds to 1 1/8 in lately and it seems ok. If you are soaping for personal use get it at a size you like or it will bug you for a long time.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. It doesn't help that I am the world's most indecisive person!

I am leaning toward 1 1/8" because that seems like the happy medium and will allow for some shrinkage and/or beveling/planing as needed.

I have Buds guillotine cutter. It does my pvc logs and has different notches for what size bar I wish to make. I love this cutter better than an miter box I was using.

I want Bud's multi cutter so badly. But I do have a cheap used wire cheese cutter, so that's been a huge upgrade for me and I guess I just have to be happy with that ;) someday though...

My homemade soap cutter!❤️ ImageUploadedBySoap Making1391414860.029414.jpg

Holy moley that coat of paint sure prettied it up. Actually my cutter is just unfinished plywood, and a coat of paint would be a good idea to make cleanup easier. Thanks for the idea. And good job!!

I have had Bud's 1 1/4 inch cutter since Sept 2012. It's very well made and cuts perfectly every time, no dragging marks. Just wipe the wires after cutting. Go for it you will not regret it.:thumbup:

Can I ask a question to those who have Bud's single wire cutter? On the pics I can see it has a thickness adjuster thingy with a screw, that can be moved back and forth and so cut soaps up to 2 inches thick. Can that whole adjuster thingy be completey removed, so the cutter be used to cut soap into even wider pieces? Why I ask is, I'm wondering if it can be used to cut soaps to any desired width, (say 6 cm) that then afterwards can be cut horizontally into the right thickness. I'm wondering if it can be used to cut designs like the mantra that aren't cut vertically as one would usually do with a loaf, but are cut horizontally. One would then first need to be able to cut the soap pieces much wider than 2 inches. Can that be done?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back