Butters - refined/unrefined

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For cocoa butter, I'm only aware of scent differences. I really wouldn't know because I never used refined butters, not even shea.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like un-refined butters in anhydrous products and soaps, but I trust refined butters, especially shea, better in lotions. Raw un-refined shea can have un-wanted surprises in it

Buckscent

Reaction score
I like un-refined butters in anhydrous products and soaps, but I trust refined butters, especially shea, better in lotions. Raw un-refined shea can have un-wanted surprises in it
Like what kind of surprises? So why not use refined for CP soap?

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Like shea, Which is better? Whats the difference (beside the color)?
The refined versions are more consistent. They are low in moisture and free fatty acids that would promote rancidity and shorten the shelf life. The unrefined versions are more variable products. The quality and stability can vary according to where they come from and how they were extracted.

The unrefined versions are better in the sense that if you tell people that they have magical properties because they weren't refined, they will almost certainly believe you.

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm weird. I like unrefined cocoa butter because it still has that chocolate-y smell but I only use refined shea butter because I don't want any 'extras'.

queennikki

Reaction score
The consistency is better with refined, but if you want a more natural scent or feel to a product the unrefined would probably be better.