Butter Soap Curiosity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing the experiment!

I seen the extract. I rather not have anything that smells like movie theater popcorn. I haven't been to the movies in ages and I miss that unhealthful treat. It's also kinda tricky using a pot to make popcorn.
Popcorn, buttered and salted, is actually a reasonably healthy snack by today's nutrition science. Butter is one of the best sources of fat in the diet (yes, a few of the veg oils are better, and you can certainly cut your butter with olive oil if you like), but you can salt until your heart's content and it will still have less sodium than a can of veg from the store (or any of the other processed foods that you buy). And compared to any of the other salty/crunchy snacks, it has hands down better stats in iProfile.

I like the idea of the butter EO because it eliminates the butryic acid issue that regular butter presents. It might not be everyone, but I'd love to see the customer reaction to a butter-scented soap! :D

Thanks for sharing the experiment!

Popcorn, buttered and salted, is actually a reasonably healthy snack by today's nutrition science. Butter is one of the best sources of fat in the diet (yes, a few of the veg oils are better, and you can certainly cut your butter with olive oil if you like), but you can salt until your heart's content and it will still have less sodium than a can of veg from the store (or any of the other processed foods that you buy). And compared to any of the other salty/crunchy snacks, it has hands down better stats in iProfile.

I like the idea of the butter EO because it eliminates the butryic acid issue that regular butter presents. It might not be everyone, but I'd love to see the customer reaction to a butter-scented soap! :D

If I were a better perfumer, I'd love to try my hand at making a kettle corn scent. I know that Eden Botanicals sells butter EO, but I'm not going to run out to get it anytime soon. At the mean time, I'll enjoy butter in the one place it belongs: my belly! :)

Hey LunaSkye,
Thanks for carrying out this experiment and sharing your results!

Just yesterday I was just asking myself the same question considering that butter has a very interesting fatty acid profile unlike the more common soapmaking oils that I know of:
- Palmitic: 31%
- Myristic: 12%
- Stearic: 11%
- Oleic: 24%
- Linoleic: 3%

And I was wondering if this would be the next super soapmaking ingredient!!

I wonder what contributed to the bad smell - maybe the milk products in there?

No thanks is necessary. :) I just simply did what any other curious soul would do when questions may not be enough.

As many soapers have suggested, go easy on the butter as it will stink even if it is 10% of the recipe. I find that a mostly butter soap makes a terrible hand soap (thank you DeeAnna for your explanation on fatty acids), but it's nice enough when used sparingly.

If I were a better perfumer, I'd love to try my hand at making a kettle corn scent. I know that Eden Botanicals sells butter EO, but I'm not going to run out to get it anytime soon. At the mean time, I'll enjoy butter in the one place it belongs: my belly! :)
Oh, to have a bit bigger paycheck and Eden would be a bit more profitable. ;)

Back