built my first soap mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northland Naturals

Reaction score
soapmold.jpg

it's not perfect, but it should work. the soap should be about 4" x 3" when finished. next time i'll make it for bigger soaps. not bad for $7 in materials at lowes!

i have some wood left over for a makeshift lid, but i'll probably use plastic wrap. honestly, i haven't done this with any of my soaps yet. is covering essential to making sure the soap cures right? i haven't ever noticed my soap go through "gelling". thoughts?

Northland Naturals said:
i have some wood left over for a makeshift lid, but i'll probably use plastic wrap. honestly, i haven't done this with any of my soaps yet. is covering essential to making sure the soap cures right? i haven't ever noticed my soap go through "gelling". thoughts?

I would say covering it with something will definitely cut down on the chance that you will have ash occur on your soaps. Plastic wrap is sufficient...just something to block or minimalize the raw soap's contact with air. Its not essential to make sure the soap cures right, you can take care of any ash that does form by simply spritzing the soap with some rubbing alcohol.

As far as noticing the soap going through gelling, you will see the soap start to change to a sort of a translucent color and look literally, like gel. This happens due to the exothermic (meaning heat producing) reaction of saponification. (lye reacting with fats and/or oils). once the soap cools a bit it will start to look more opaque. You can prevent the gel stage by putting your mold in the fridge or freezer (if its small enough that is!).... some like to gel their soaps, some dont...

Im kinda right in the middle...I like both styles, but it all depends on the particular soap I am making. :)

Hope that Helps!

Wow that looks great! I prefer gelled soap so I cover mine with plastic wrap and put a lid on it.

You didn't say anything about finishing your mold... in case you are considering it... don't because then you can force gel in your oven if need be. A finish might react in the oven (you might already know this!)

Good luck and again it looks awesome!! There's nothing better than building something yourself!!

i had briefly considered finishing it, but decided since i would be lining it every time anyway, i wouldn't bother. i may try doing the silicone thing, thanks for sharing!

Great mold! Now that you've done one, you can make all different sizes.

Hmm...I wonder if I could talk my stepfather into making me one. :lol:

edit: I meant to ask - is there a reason you don't want your soap to gel?

Hello Northland:

Great job. I love wooden molds too. My friend's son made one for me when they discovered I was going to order online. I was so touched by that gesture. I just love how the soap turns out in this type of mold. I have read that it sets up faster (in a wooken mold) because of the super thermal capacity of wood.

Anyway, congratulations...a soap cradle is born.

Best regards,

April

My husband is talking about making a mold for me out of plastic (thick slabs). He wants to make both a log mold and one with dividers. But he has a lot on his plate so in the meantime I might copy yours! Great job on it!

That is a pretty good mold for your first try, if those were sold i would buy one, even though i dont make soap i just like to look at it and use it :)
:lol:

I have a log mold with lid. After pouring the soap in, I cover the mold with several layers of newspaper, then some towels. I usually get gel, even though that room is VERY cold in wintertime.

Great job, btw!

Latest posts

Back