Browsing soap pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The soap in post 1532 -- I like how the green and black (dark brown?) colors fade softly into the yellow base soap, but the orange-peach floral part of the swirl pops out, clear and crisp. I think the base soap must have sea buckthorn oil in it to turn it that golden yellow -- it's cool to see colors pop against a background that isn't stark white.

Yes, the person who made it mentions sea buckthorn oil but I imagine you could get the color if you used a small amount of red palm oil in the base as well. I love sea buckthorn but can't find it at a decent price anymore.

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 12.57.53 PM.jpg

...I love sea buckthorn but can't find it at a decent price anymore.

Yeah, I agree -- it's expensive stuff! I wonder if an annatto-oil infusion would work to get that golden yellow. I've gotten an pretty intense yellow with a modest amount of annatto infusion, but I haven't added enough to see if the yellow turns more golden or if it goes toward orange instead. Another thing to add to the "gee I'd like to try this" list! :)

Yeah, I agree -- it's expensive stuff! I wonder if an annatto-oil infusion would work to get that golden yellow. I've gotten an pretty intense yellow with a modest amount of annatto infusion, but I haven't added enough to see if the yellow turns more golden or if it goes toward orange instead. Another thing to add to the "gee I'd like to try this" list! :)

It does in fact go orange. Then the orange fades to a burnt orange.
I'll use less next time.

Thanks for the advice! So far (knock on wood) the yellow I got from annatto is staying a nice yellow. The soap is only a couple of months old though -- time will tell.

It does in fact go orange. Then the orange fades to a burnt orange.
I'll use less next time.

I've gotten an pretty intense yellow with a modest amount of annatto infusion, but I haven't added enough to see if the yellow turns more golden or if it goes toward orange instead.

The last couple of times I've used an annatto infusion, I got a nice bright Halloween-y orange to the batter. (And the Halloween reference wasn't helped by the purple from alkanet in the soap!)

This made me think of this months' challenge, although I have not gotten anything like this texture from any of my batches. And this effect is from the mold, not from the soap itself. Kind of looks like whipped M&P almost! I have no idea if you can do that though.

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 2.29.19 PM.jpg

Those cat soaps are seriously adorable. I wouldn't necessarily go for them either only because I'd never want to use them! But I really appreciate the detailed art work that went into them. What a talented soaper.

The blue one looks like a kitchen sponge that was soaked in very thin blue batter then wrung out. What an interesting look.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the balls on the sides of the last bars. You'd have to attach them after the loaf was cut so how do they stay put while rubbing in the shower? Still a fascinating look though.

ETA: Oh! I just saw that the side balls look like mini soap-on-a-rope. They must have "strung" the balls then put the string into the batter to dangle down the side like that. What a clever idea.

Last edited:
I like how the tiny bit of yellow accents the coral and dark pink and livens up the swirl without competing for attention like a blue, green, or dark accent would.

Latest posts

Back