Brown marks in my CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy1875

Reaction score
Hi All, i'm getting own marks in my CP soap, this is the 2nd time this has happened can anyone tell me what it is and will the soap be safe to use?

this is it hear, basic soap olive, plam, coconut, avacado

IMG_1017.JPG

did you add any EO or FO? They might be DOS, but mine doesn't look like that, so I am not sure. Maybe someone else has run into spots like this.

DOS should be yellow or orange, not reddish. Did you make your soap hot process? I also suspect that its your scent that didn't get mixed in properly.
Does it pass the zap test? Do the spots smell bad at all? If its just the scent then yes, its safe to use.

Hi all, this was cold process with sandalwood & vanilla scent. yes I used water.

Cheers

Did you stir the scent in by hand? Next time, add your scent sooner so you can get it mixed in better.

Yes EG, you're correct, DOS is a surface thing. I would try mixing the FO in with the oils before adding the lye, and mixing it in well. See if that makes a difference.

They don't look like DOS to me either. They are more likely to be caused by vanilla based scents(or any dark colored FOs) and natural colorants which did not mix well with the soap mixture, especially when you add them at a thick trace.

I have some similar spots, mine are reddish- orange... I was thinking they are DOS, they came up on some bars that belong to a batch that starts to get small dark orange spots here and there...

Latest posts

Back