Brambleberry Lotion Bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant to type 'sampler', sorry about that. I have a set of 'deodorant' Twist Tubes that I use. I then scrape off the very top between uses which seems to satisfy folks. And I have some Clorox wipes to keep the tubes clean.

Baggies are good...it was just finding the right size and smaller labels. You need to include the sides of your bar to get the width and length of the bag you will need and then add a little extra. I wrap my LB's in small coffee filters so I made sure to include that in the measurements. And I don't carry a large inventory of them to begin with since they are so easy to make, and I very rarely make them during the 'summer' unless it is for someone local.

Any butter that isn't a 'nut' butter like cocoa, shea, mango, kokum, capuacu, and murumuru is going to be some kind of "blend"...that's just common sense. And if you're going to call out BB for 'truth in advertising', then let's talk about some of WSP's. Like their description of Cranberry Butter Blend...unless you are ingesting the small amount of cranberry powder used in the Blend, being 'very high in anti-oxidant properties' isn't worth diddly-squat. Green Tea does have 'amazing properties', but how much of that are you actually getting...especially since it is being further diluted in whatever product you are making? And WSP is just as bad as BB (and anyone else) who calls Lanolin a 'butter'; it's NOT a butter, it's a wax.

I have ordered supplies from a lot of different companies and honestly...they pretty much get the majority of the stuff from the same place, they just stick their company label on it. Calling it a 'butter blend' as opposed to a 'butter' doesn't mean squat to me because again...common sense. Now if we were talking about oils...that's a different kettle of fish.
I was neither praising WSP nor castigating BB specifically, just citing examples I was familiar with. I buy from both of them, I'm just careful what I buy from both of them.

And yes, I understand there are only several providers, both for supplies and fragrances, and many vendors use the same providers. It's all about marketing, reputation, and pricing. And that's fine. But it's always caveat emptor. The burden is on the consumer to make sure they know what they are getting.

Just my 2 cents (25 cents with inflation 😁) - about BBs recipes - my general rule for anything other than CP soap is to make a small amount using the same ratios as the recipe. Then I start making adjustments, if not happy with the result. Occasionally, I sub ingredients from the beginning for various reasons; for example, my daughter-in-law is allergic to mango.

Last edited:
So I wanted to update everyone on my lotion bar project. After much trial error and returns I was able to find a tin that fits the BB Monstera Leaf mold. Now to try to get these gosh darn things to sell. I have them paired with my watermelon soap for Mothers Day.

https://a.co/d/fkwWtAY

Attachments

• 20230421_071825.jpg
    20230421_071825.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image000002 (15).jpg
    image000002 (15).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230421_071806.jpg
    20230421_071806.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Now to try to get these gosh darn things to sell.
To be honest, you make wonderful soaps! I know that from first-hand experience, I expect the Watermelon soap will go fast. It mind-smells delicious! However, I'm not drawn to the lotion bar, although I expect it would be wonderful as well...

You might think about what I did to sell my cuticle balms, perfectly lovely in a small pink compact with a clear top, fragranced with an almond & amaretto blend. I had one in my pocket whenever someone, male or female, young or old, approached my table. I'd say, "Give me your hand."

I first showed them the cuticle balm then massaged a bit into the cuticles of first one hand and then the other, slowly while chatting. It never failed to make a sale, or 2 or 3! If not for themselves, they would buy it for their lady-friends or family. 😁

So I wanted to update everyone on my lotion bar project. After much trial error and returns I was able to find a tin that fits the BB Monstera Leaf mold. Now to try to get these gosh darn things to sell. I have them paired with my watermelon soap for Mothers Day.

https://a.co/d/fkwWtAY
I think the lotion bar is cute! And as long as you use that design to distinguish it from your soaps, I can't imagine why they wouldn't sell 🤷🏼‍♀️ Maybe the color?
I love hard lotion bars but was struggling with the whole "they look like soap" mind set. Then I used the plastic deodorant tubes (which I thought were perfect), but other people had issue with the plastic container 🙄 so now I'm experimenting with cardboard tubes.
I have noticed that within my friends and family circle, more people are actually interested in the lotion than the soaps ~ maybe because I'm making super simple, very basic soaps, as opposed to the fancy colored and overly frangranced kind. Most people just aren't as "turned on" by the natural (drab) colors and somewhat earthy smell of the natural ingredients but my skin can't handle fragrances and dyes/colorants so I make what I need in small batches.
Sometimes you just can't please everyone. Does anyone give feedback on why they don't like the lotion bars?

Does anyone give feedback on why they don't like the lotion bars?
I don't know about "everyone" but I prefer lotion in a pump bottle at the sink, in the bathroom and bed side and in a small purse-size tube. Due to Colorado's dry Alpine Desert Climate, 65% - 80% water (or aloe vera juice) hydrates better vs. no water in a lotion bar. JMHO

I don't know about "everyone" but I prefer lotion in a pump bottle at the sink, in the bathroom and bed side and in a small purse-size tube. Due to Colorado's dry Alpine Desert Climate, 65% - 80% water (or aloe vera juice) hydrates better vs. no water in a lotion bar. JMHO
Most folks do not realize it is water that facilitates moisturizing not just oil sitting on the skin, so water-based lotions as you mentioned CEE 👆 are the best. This is why on my solid lotion jars I stated that it was best to use solid lotions right after a bath or shower on damp skin for optimal results. I did not make lotion bars as bars I put the mix in jars.

I think the lotion bar is cute! And as long as you use that design to distinguish it from your soaps, I can't imagine why they wouldn't sell 🤷🏼‍♀️ Maybe the color?
I love hard lotion bars but was struggling with the whole "they look like soap" mind set. Then I used the plastic deodorant tubes (which I thought were perfect), but other people had issue with the plastic container 🙄 so now I'm experimenting with cardboard tubes.
I have noticed that within my friends and family circle, more people are actually interested in the lotion than the soaps ~ maybe because I'm making super simple, very basic soaps, as opposed to the fancy colored and overly frangranced kind. Most people just aren't as "turned on" by the natural (drab) colors and somewhat earthy smell of the natural ingredients but my skin can't handle fragrances and dyes/colorants so I make what I need in small batches.
Sometimes you just can't please everyone. Does anyone give feedback on why they don't like the lotion bars?
Thanks! I love the whole design and concept. Its right off Brambleberry's website including the color. I live in a small desert town in AZ thats literally a square mile carved out of a Native American Reservation. We dont have fairs or events so 99.9 % of my sales are via etsy. Lotion bars are a new thing for me to try out. So if this batch doesnt go anywhere Ill know to not remake.
I appreciate everyones support!

Latest posts

Back