Brambleberry Lotion Bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some bulk oils at BB tonight and got a free Monstera Leaf mold. I was thinking about a Mothers Day soap set with a lotion bar. Has anyone tried this BB recipe? And how do you figure out the right tin/container? Thanks!

https://www.brambleberry.com/articl...onstera-leaf-lotion-bar-project/PS000261.html
I haven't used anything from brambleberry in quite a while, most especially her recipes. Not really sure why. I don't make lotion bars, I make liquid lotion and they go in 2oz bullet bottles.

It's going to be hard to find a tin to fit the Monstera mold, I think. You don't need BBs recipe (you'll find BB's recipes are filled with (in my opinion) unnecessary things so they can sell more and different products. I use 2" round tins with a see-through lid and a mooncake mold
and they fit perfectly. I've also discovered that lotion bars release nicely from my old plastic M&P molds, and I have a couple of them (a yin/yan and scallop shell) that also fit the container.
1676988957477.png
1676989022373.png

Has anyone tried this BB recipe? And how do you figure out the right tin/container?
It's a cute mold for soap, but I wouldn't use it for lotion bars. 3oz is a bit much for a standard lotion bar and you're going to have a heck of a time finding a container because of the size of the bar (3.0" x 2.75" x 1.25"). I found a 4oz windowed tin on Amazon that is close...3.3" in diameter, but you would have to short pour as it is only 1.1" high.

As for BB's recipe. I've never used Avocado Butter so I couldn't tell you what kind of bar it would make. But BB does have decent recipes so it wouldn't hurt to try it and see if you like it. And it's a good place to start.

You don't need BBs recipe (you'll find BB's recipes are filled with (in my opinion) unnecessary things so they can sell more and different products.
There is nothing wrong with BB's recipes...they may not be your cup of tea, but they might be someone else's and it's a great way to experiment with different ingredients.
If you want to be technical, folks add a lot of 'unnecessary' things to their products. Like soap...you really don't need anything but a single oil for soap, yet folks use all sorts of soft/hard oils and butters. And then they add things like silk and oatmeal, milk and sugar, salt and aloe vera, pumpkin and coffee, sorbitol and citric acid, the list is endless. I use a combination of four soft/hard oils and two butters myself, plus I use Sodium Lactate and Kaolin Clay. In fact, I recently purchased Sorbitol because hubby says he wants more 'bubbles' so why not?

For Lotion Bars...if you want to be 'technical' again...you really don't need anything but a wax and one butter, and you don't need a fancy mooncake mold. The first LB I made contained just Beeswax and Cocoa and Shea Butter, then I added some arrowroot. I've also tried Kokum and Mango Butters. And I've tried replacing some of the Butters with Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil and Jojoba Oil. And now I'm trying something new and recently ordered Vitamin E Oil, Green Tea Extract and Isopropyl Myristate

Thank you for all your help @TheGecko . I got the mold free so I figured I may as well make something pretty with it. I agree with your points re ingredients. I try to limit my number of ingredients ( 4-7) overall just for my own sanity and focus on visual appeal and prettiness.

Thank you for all your help @TheGecko . I got the mold free so I figured I may as well make something pretty with it. I agree with your points re ingredients. I try to limit my number of ingredients ( 4-7) overall just for my own sanity and focus on visual appeal and prettiness.
I looked at it, but then chose the 12 bar one for a project I've been thinking about.

Last edited:
I have that very mold, and I will tell you, even using sodium lactate, no matter what the recipe, a few of the frond points stayed in the mold. I really like the mold, but I have yet to have a CP soap come out clean. M&P was fine, and lotion bars would probably work, but as @TheGecko said, it's a bit large for those.

I just think its ironic that BB promotes this whole lotion bar kit on its website using that very mold and everyones like its too big. Its funny.

This is the mold I use for lotion bars:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P471Q3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1I’ve done the hearts out of these molds:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XK2X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1They fit nicely in these tins (1 bar or 4 hearts), but the window tins are really nice and these don’t have the window…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LS66DT7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1To your original question, it took me 2 tries to get the “bar to tin” sizing right, even after I tried to measure and plan, so I’m no help there LOL 🌸

Not that particular one, but I've made a similar recipe from BB and liked it a lot. That recipe used almond oil (IIRC!) instead of coconut, but there was avocado butter for sure. Haven't tried the mold yet, but I'm getting a free one, too! :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P471Q3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1I’ve done the hearts out of these molds:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XK2X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1They fit nicely in these tins (1 bar or 4 hearts), but the window tins are really nice and these don’t have the window…
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LS66DT7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1To your original question, it took me 2 tries to get the “bar to tin” sizing right, even after I tried to measure and plan, so I’m no help there LOL 🌸
I love the rose gold tins and if they made them with the window I'd be all over them. But I haven't seen that size and color with a window.

I use two different molds for my Lotion Bars as I offer two different sizes. The first one is a 2oz Bee Mold, the second is a 0.75oz Round. I use 1oz and 2oz tins that I also get from Amazon. I'm currently looking at small ziplock bags so I can offer 'refills'.

ETA - I also use Twist Tubes for my 'samplet'.

I use two different molds for my Lotion Bars as I offer two different sizes. The first one is a 2oz Bee Mold, the second is a 0.75oz Round. I use 1oz and 2oz tins that I also get from Amazon. I'm currently looking at small ziplock bags so I can offer 'refills'.

ETA - I also use Twist Tubes for my 'samplet'.
Refill packaging is next on my list, @TheGecko - I’ll be curious how you like the baggie idea. 😊 What’s a samplet, if you don’t mind me asking? 🌸

Save your money on B&B Avocado Butter, it is not pure Avocado Butter. You will get the same benefits using Avocado oil with another butter such as Shea, mango, or no butters. There are many ways to make lotion bars.
Thank you for this info, @cmzaha 🥰 - I’m going to try this! 🌸

Avocado Butter isn't actually a thing. It's basically avocado oil with hydrogenated vegetable oil. The two are whipped together to create a suspended product. Total waste of money.
Mind blown 😲 @The_Phoenix - thank you, I had no idea this was the case. 🌸

Thank you for this info, @cmzaha 🥰 - I’m going to try this! 🌸

Mind blown 😲 @The_Phoenix - thank you, I had no idea this was the case. 🌸

If you read the ingredients, you'll be surprised at how many of the types of butter are basically the same thing--WSP is good with listing the ingredients, and in fact, will call out some, if not all, of their butters "blends." Their aloe butter blend is coconut oil and aloe leaf extract. And so on. I give them props for at least calling it a blend. A lot of places, like BB, don't call it out--you need to read the ingredients. Of course, reading the ingredients is just good practice anyway, but still....

I love the rose gold tins and if they made them with the window I'd be all over them. But I haven't seen that size and color with a window.
What is the outside diameter of the 2 oz, flat tin? I get a slip on lid, 2 oz tin that is 3" in dia.

Refill packaging is next on my list, @TheGecko - I’ll be curious how you like the baggie idea. 😊 What’s a samplet, if you don’t mind me asking? 🌸
I meant to type 'sampler', sorry about that. I have a set of 'deodorant' Twist Tubes that I use. I then scrape off the very top between uses which seems to satisfy folks. And I have some Clorox wipes to keep the tubes clean.

Baggies are good...it was just finding the right size and smaller labels. You need to include the sides of your bar to get the width and length of the bag you will need and then add a little extra. I wrap my LB's in small coffee filters so I made sure to include that in the measurements. And I don't carry a large inventory of them to begin with since they are so easy to make, and I very rarely make them during the 'summer' unless it is for someone local.

If you read the ingredients, you'll be surprised at how many of the types of butter are basically the same thing--WSP is good with listing the ingredients, and in fact, will call out some, if not all, of their butters "blends." Their aloe butter blend is coconut oil and aloe leaf extract. And so on. I give them props for at least calling it a blend. A lot of places, like BB, don't call it out--you need to read the ingredients. Of course, reading the ingredients is just good practice anyway, but still....
Any butter that isn't a 'nut' butter like cocoa, shea, mango, kokum, capuacu, and murumuru is going to be some kind of "blend"...that's just common sense. And if you're going to call out BB for 'truth in advertising', then let's talk about some of WSP's. Like their description of Cranberry Butter Blend...unless you are ingesting the small amount of cranberry powder used in the Blend, being 'very high in anti-oxidant properties' isn't worth diddly-squat. Green Tea does have 'amazing properties', but how much of that are you actually getting...especially since it is being further diluted in whatever product you are making? And WSP is just as bad as BB (and anyone else) who calls Lanolin a 'butter'; it's NOT a butter, it's a wax.

I have ordered supplies from a lot of different companies and honestly...they pretty much get the majority of the stuff from the same place, they just stick their company label on it. Calling it a 'butter blend' as opposed to a 'butter' doesn't mean squat to me because again...common sense. Now if we were talking about oils...that's a different kettle of fish.

Latest posts

Back