Quantcast

Best soaping oil/s? Lard and what else?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

not_ally

Reaction score
OK, JK, sort of, about the lard. I know that is not good for those of you who want to avoid animal fats completely. Also, it is kind of a stupid query in some ways, b/c those of us who post here already know a lot about what the rest of us use. But it is still fun to talk about it :)

For me: lard in large amounts (60-75%). Also castor in little ones (5-8%). Everything else is negotiable. Lard: moisturizing, good lather which takes well to working w/castor, white bar, hard bar, pretty much as close to the moisture-lather unreachable Holy Grail thing as you can get. Castor: great about making existing lather good, and that is about it.

Anyone else? It would be helpful to specify the stuff you cannot live without and why (so maybe 1-3 oils) rather than listing recipes

Last edited:

Obsidian

Reaction score
Olive oil is a must in my recipes, 20%-25% really adds to the overall skin feel. I also really like avocado oil in small amounts.

not_ally

Reaction score
Obsidian, the small amount that is left for me almost always includes at least a little bit of olive (or avocado) and CO. For me, a combination of the basic oils somehow always creates some kind of fusion which is better.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lard, castor oil, OO, CO, tallow.

Lard in high amounts. At least 50%.

Olive oil in most everything, 25% or less.

CO in everything @ 20% or less.

Castor oil 5% in most everything. High amounts in shampoo bars.

Everything else is negotiable.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Coconut - I don't think I've ever made a soap without coconut oil. And you know what a salt bar slut I am, so there :)

Of course you know I share your lard love. And olive oil is a standard, though I do adore me some sweet almond oil as well. Castor is a constant, but I have left it out of some recipes and they did OK, so I count castor as useful but not critical.

not_ally

Reaction score
So far we have (in no particular order, except for my favorite :)) we have lard, OO, CO, castor, tallow, avocado (I was almost tempted to include that w/a slash w/olive, it seems so similar to me, although I do like it better in marginal ways), SAO.

No butters so far, and no really expensive/exotic oils.

Sea, there are a lot of you salt bar sluts out there, we need an acronym.

Last edited:

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Lard anywhere from 35-75%

Castor always 5%

CO always 15-20%

And OO in my lower lard % soaps to make up the balance

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
-Olive is probably my biggest staple oil. Depending on my formula, I use it in every single one of them except for my salt bars.

-Rice bran for linoleic in 2 of my most important formulas.

-Avocado oil for my shaving formula and a lip balm formula

-Being a Bubble Babe (since we're coming up with names and all ;) ), coconut oil, PKO flakes, and castor oil for the perfect lather trifecta- they are a major game player in the majority of all my formulas.

-Lard, tallow and the butters (illipe, kokum, cocoa and mango are my staple butters, both for soap and other B&B things that I make).

All of the above are non-negotiable to me.

Others that I have on hand are babassu and shea, but they are negotiable.

IrishLass :)

spenny92

Reaction score
Shea and cocoa butters are essential for me, because I don't use palm or animal fats. I am definitely in the minority here!
Same here - although I think cocoa butter is more essential for me. Love my butters, though!

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tallow, Palm or Palm Shortening, Avocado, Sunflower HO are my favorites. I am still having DOS issues with lard so use it in smaller amounts. OO is my very least favorite oil although I do use it in small amounts since it is quite reasonable, but any percentage over 15% feels sticky to me

galaxyMLP

SPONSOR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use CO or any other "bubbly" oils here except castor. Olive is a must for me. I love lard, palm, Shea and a bit of avocado. Just not a CO fan... Too drying. Although, I can't wait for the swap soaps becasue maybe I'm just doing it all wrong.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Olive, coconut, pko, castor, lard, Palm, avocado. I too use co, pko, and castor together. But I'm a salt bar slut primarily

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lard, olive, coconut, castor, are my regular recipe in varying combos. I add Shea butter sometimes.

I have done avocado, flax and sesame, too. Might use them again.
Used cocoa butter once and will never use it again. Stuff was a brick and made my house stink! :lolno:

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lard, tallow, sweet almond, avocado, rice bran, sunflower, PKO, castor & cocoa butter are my faves.

Carolyn - where do you buy your lard? I almost always use the manteca lard which has EDTA added and over 5 yrs have only had 1 batch DOS. I'd like to think the added EDTA helps but haven't done enough batches with freshly rendered lard to compare.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Main fats: Lard, HO safflower or HO sunflower (olive alternatives), coconut oil.

Secondary fats: Avocado (thanks, Carolyn, for turning me on to this!) and castor.

Coming soon to a soap kitchen near me: Freshly rendered tallow (thanks to my co-worker Connie and my fellow soaper Renae). Don't know where tallow will rank in my soapy pantheon, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lard is non negotiable. I like CO and PKO at equal amounts. I'm a big fan of a little shea. For me, olive oil is good, but it's easily exchanged for AO, Pumpkin Oil or Hemp - depending on my mood. I keep Pumpkin and Hemp below 15% though.

ETA: Castor @ 5%, gotta have it .

not_ally

Reaction score
One of the fun things about spending time on a forum is that you figure out who soaps like you do (and we are all different w/r/t end goals) which makes it great when they post, I already have some new thoughts on this thread based on that. Also, now we have some new terms. Salt Bar Slut and Bubble Babe. We should add those to a "important but not scientific soap term" sticky! Also one from a thread I saw long ago from Morpheus, "I meant to do that" when things go awry :)

Last edited: