Best First Soap Recipe/Project?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purple

Reaction score
If you were going to tech someone else to make soap what would you suggest for a type and recipe? I've been asked to give a frugal series to local senior citizens and just can't decide what would be best.

Maybe like a three or four ingredient simple recipe ?? Something that's moisturizing for their mature skin :?

purple said:
If you were going to tech someone else to make soap what would you suggest for a type and recipe? I've been asked to give a frugal series to local senior citizens and just can't decide what would be best.
That is awesome Purple! I bet many will have stories of making soap way back when. Do share them if you can.

I am thinking lard or tallow as that is what most will remember using. You can explain how this will not be the sometimes harsh soaps of their childhoods due to using pure lye as opposed to washing wood ashes and how to calc for superfatting. I have a rather nice 3 ingredient lard recipe I will look up for you. Can not put my finger on it right now.

I know Mike does a recipe that is very inexpensive.

Digit

I would suggest three or four ingredients too. How about something like this?

40% lard or tallow
35% Crisco or other vegetable shortening
20% coconut
5% castor

Very cheap to make, nice bubbles with minimal drying, and makes a nice hard soap.

Or....you could even make a 100% vegetable shortening bar. They're serviceable and very cheap to make. They're also nice to the skin.

Back