Beginner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapsbymary

Reaction score
I'm just starting out. I bought 2lbs of shea butter and my molds that I got are 3"x 2" and 1" deep. I was wondering if anyone might know how many bars I might get out of the 2lbs.

You will need more than shea butter for a good bar of soap. I suggest that you read through the beginner's section and look at some YouTube tutorials.
Soaping101 and SoapQueen TV are two that I recommend.

I'm just starting out. I bought 2lbs of shea butter and my molds that I got are 3"x 2" and 1" deep. I was wondering if anyone might know how many bars I might get out of the 2lbs.
What other oils are you using with your shea butter? Shea alone will not make a good bar of soap. Check out the beginners section.

I see lsg and I both posted at the same time.

What do you mean by scented oils? Do you mean fragrance oils, if you make sure they are safe to use in skin care products.

It depends on your recipe. If you want to use a lot of shea butter, here's a recipe that I like:
50% shea butter
5% castor
20% coconut
25% sunflower
2% superfat.

This is all guess work. Your molds are 6 cubic inches each. 6 cubic inches = 3.32 ounces. A batch of soap is 1/3 water and 2/3 oil. (roughly). A batch of soap that uses 16 oz of oils will use 5 oz of water. So the total batch is 21 oz. Divide 21 oz by 3.3 oz per bar, and you get 6.36 bars.

So, if you use the recipe I suggested, 2 lbs of shea butter would give you 25.5 bars.

Back