Beeswax in soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy_bareskin

Reaction score
Can somebody give me a quick run down on why you would put beeswax in soap? My guess is to just increase the hardness of the soap.

Why I ask is because I've run out and stupidly forgot to buy more in my last order. It's probably complete coincidence, but there's 2oz of beeswax in every recipe I currently make. Is it really necessary or can I re-calculate the recipe I have without it to little or no effect?

Thanks.

I've never used beeswax in soap, but I know of a few other soapers that do to make their bars harder and last longer.

Lately, I've actually been reading a lot about beeswax in soap on many of the forums I frequent because I've thinking about trying some out in an experimental batch to see if it contributes any noticeable difference to my soap.

So far, other than hardness and a longer lasting bar, the only other benefits I have come across in my reading are that it helps eliminate ashing; and also, one poster metioned that she likes to use it in her soaps in the winter for helping to overcome her dry, winter skin.

I could be wrong, but I bet you could re-calculate your recipe to substitute cocoa butter or some other hard oil/fat/butter for the beeswax. Hopefully, someone with experience in using beeswax will chime in and lend their wisdom. :)

IrishLass

Try running your recipe through SoapCalc without the beeswax but using a different hard oil.

Normally a recipe doesn't use more that 2% beeswax so it shouldn't make too much of a difference. It will depend on how many soft oils that produce soft soap you are using in your recipe.

Its for a baby/sensitive skin soap.

It has equal parts palm, sweet almond, sunflower and coconut oil. From my experience, palm and coconut oil makes a pretty hard bar so I may survive.

I offered to make this soap for a friend months ago.. gosh my customer service is rubbish.

Back