Bad Ash!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwolanin

Reaction score
This has got to be the worse case of ash I have ever had. Goodness Gracious!
:problem:
Tried a peacock swirl LOL
I don't even know what to say at this point :/

bad ash.jpg

I can see the ash but sure love your colors. Are you going to try to steam or wash it off? Or leave it as part of the design? I just finished scrubbing a few that had ash I didn't like. I also have some I'm leaving alone since the ash doesn't bother me with the color/design. Either way, it's great looking soap!

I can see the ash but sure love your colors. Are you going to try to steam or wash it off? Or leave it as part of the design? I just finished scrubbing a few that had ash I didn't like. I also have some I'm leaving alone since the ash doesn't bother me with the color/design. Either way, it's great looking soap!

Thank you so much for your kind words :) I'm thinking this isn't ash but stearic cause I tried shaving off some and it goes deep into the color. it's only on the color part. underneath the swirl is just plain soap color. And yes I'm going to shave as much as I can off.
Guess it's back to the drawing board LOL

Hello! I forget which soapmaker wrote this some time ago - "Embrace The Ash!" I happen to like that statement. Ash is a sign of well made soap so don't worry. That being said, I made a line of soap bars that looked like they were thickly covered in ash resembling white felt or mildew! The culprit for doing this was the fragrance oil I used. The soap bars were fine except for "that look."

Bravo on your beautiful soap! I am envious. :sick: (not sick - but green with envy)

I also think temperatures have a play in ash. This is a batch I froze a few of my sample sizes (the four in the left front) to get them out of the mold and they developed serious ash after - the rest of the batch did not - the bars in the back.

1422166985755.jpg

Latest posts

Back