Baby Soap scent - EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiteEEnerd

Reaction score
I am wanting to make some soap for my current 2 year old and my future baby. While I love homemade soap, I miss the scent of some of the store bought liquid baby "soaps" we used to buy. Do you have any suggestions on EOs or EO blends to make a nice smelling baby soap? I want to stay away from FO. Thanks!

I don't know about the honey. They don't recommend giving honey to kids under 1 because of allergies.

oh I don't know. I don't know what causes it. I just remember from having my kiddo :)

artisan soaps said:
Rosey said:
I don't know about the honey. They don't recommend giving honey to kids under 1 because of allergies.

True, but do you think the C. botulinum spores would survive the Lye Monster?

I personally would only use plain unscented, uncoloured, Castile for my kids at that age ..

It's not allergies it's because honey is a raw product and may contain botulism, not good for babies. I doubt it would survive saponification.

those botulism spores are tremendously impervious to just about everything. this said, don't feed the baby the soap and you'll likely be fine.

regarding the scent, baby powder scent is actually a blend of rose & vanilla and many other components so if you want to formulate your own you can start there - BUT rose oils/absolutes are very expensive and I myself suck at formulating fragrances.

There is lavender in a lot of the commercial baby products , if you want to have a scent , maybe a few drops of lavender essential oil that in your soap would do.
I don't think baby products need to be scented ,because the way a clean baby smells is wonderful , but some people like the scented baby products.
To each his own .

Kitn

I was thinking lavender oil for babies, it is a mild EO, you can always keep it light.

Honey in a soap will not harm your baby by any means. (We are beekeepers)...the only thing to do is not feed it to them while they are so young. Raw honey is a great antiseptic and moisturizer.

I tend to keep my baby soaps unscented, and put aloe and vitamin E into them. That's just my preference....I'm sure lots of ideas will come in. :)

Hi friend,
Only good scent is not enough for the baby to have a bath. The soap should have ingredients like water, certified organic palm oil, organic coconut oil, grapefruit essential oil, and rosemary extracts which will care your baby skin more gently.

Thanks

whiteEEnerd said:
I want to stay away from FO. Thanks!

Something to consider is that EOs are not necessarily 'safer' than FOs. While FOs are thoroughly tested for allergenicity/toxicity and to establish safe skin exposure levels, EOs are not. That would be important to me as a parent considering whether or not to use a product on my baby. Just a thought; everybody is entitled to their own choice.

I'm not so sure about that...
Many people have reactions to EO's, but many are also allergic to FO's. That doesn't say anything about how "safe" either is. You'll get a range of reactions even to "safe" products.

EO's are the natural oils of plants, and when used within recommended guidelines, they are "safe."

FO's, although tested, also come with recommended guidelines for safe use.

Natural lavender has been used for centuries as a calming, relaxing agent. I would totally trust it in baby products.

Latest posts

Back