Baby Shower/Wedding Back of label

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
When you do bars as wedding favors or baby shower favors, do you put the name of your business on the label anywhere, front or back?

I've seen a million pictures of fronts online and no one puts the business name on the front of the bar.

Is it common to put it on the back though?

If you are being paid to make soap, then you must follow US labeling laws. If you are not being paid, I would put a list of ingredients on the back along with my website; said label with be the size of an address label.

Technically, we really don't have to put ingredients on soap, right?

I'm really looking more from an etiquette perspective.

My website address on the back of the bar is advertising for me.

Is it right for me to do this?

Correct, ingredients are not required by law if it is just soap with no claims. But I think it is a good thing to put your company name on the soap so that people can contact you if they have a question about ingredients for allergy purposes. The fact that it is also advertising for you is a bonus, of course.

I would list the ingredients on the label, just so people know what is in the soap. Some people have allergies and could have a reaction if they used the soap, or looking at it the other way - might not use a soap because they were concerned an allergen could be in it. I think listing your website is up to you. I think just about anything that is purchased as a small gift for wedding guests would have some sort of branding on it. As TheGecko said, if you are being paid you need to follow the laws.

Technically, we really don't have to put ingredients on soap, right?

I'm really looking more from an etiquette perspective.

My website address on the back of the bar is advertising for me.

Is it right for me to do this?

Technically if it is just ‘soap’ you don’t have to but ask yourself, would you wash your man-bits with something that you don’t know what’s in it?

I use my regular ingredient list label for the back and it has my business email on it as well as my phone#. I list all ingredients as you don't know who may be allergic to something especially when doing for bridal/baby showers ore weddings.

Granted in the US you don't have to label it at all. I prefer to list so my insurance doesn't have to possibly be used.

This is a good reference for soap labeling for US soapmakers: Quick Labeling FAQ - Marie Gale

Particularly:
What goes on the BACK or SIDE panels?

For all products:
  • The name and address of the responsible party.
  • Directions for safe use (if applicable)

More detail is available on various pages on the website.

Since you don't say if you are doing this for profit (selling) or as a gift to a friend, I ask, which is it? Are you being paid for these soaps up-front? Or are you doing a favor for a friend or family?

If you are selling it, it is a Consumer Commodity and therefore etiquette has nothing to do with, but you have to follow US Federal law in the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act (see this link)

If you are already in business and are getting paid for your product, then you really should know the rules and regulations of all the pertinent agencies regarding labeling laws. It takes a lot of dedication to delve though it all, but it can save you headaches in the future by avoiding legal hassles.

Here is another link to read regarding, how a soapmaker making claims about their soap can put them into the cosmetic category, leading to even more legal ramifications. It is well worth reading because it happens all the time (claims about soap turning it into either a cosmetic or a drug or both).

ETA: If you are not selling, but plan to or even think you may in the future, then it's a good time to start practicing proper labeling because you'll have to learn it anyway. And even if you're not ever going to sell, why not learn it since it's really the right thing to do, to label your product shared with others.

Last edited:
For my wholesale accounts using their own branding on labels, I do include the following:
Mfg for X Brewing Co by [my biz name, address, and website]
And even though it's soap, I always include ingredient listing in order from largest to smallest.

Latest posts

Back