August 2019 SMF Challenge- Summer memory

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules - scroll down to see the challenge specific rules)

SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this).

2. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

3. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (conversation) to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's (conversations) when the voting begins.

4. Soap must be made specifically for the challenge. You may not enter a "pre-made" soap. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non-entry photos are very welcome and may be posted in this thread.

5. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So, if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

6. Please add your name to the sign-up list if you wish to participate by making a soap(however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced). ___________________________________________________________________

The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts, where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.

Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.

Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.

The Entry thread will open on August 21 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).

The Entry thread will close on August 25 at 11:59 pm CST and the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. The voting survey will remain open until August 30 at 11:59 CST and the winner announced on August 31. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We would love to see anything you have produced.

Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfill the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.

All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Challenge

I was thinking a little lighthearted summer challenge would be good for August. This month, please make a soap that reflects a fond summer memory of yours. It can be inspired by a favorite summer beach song, a place, a person, an event, a feeling. It can be a landscape (but not your landscape soap from last month), abstract, a detail, a pattern, it can be about the colors or whatever and however your memory moves you to bring it to soap. If you just went through a heat wave like we did, feel free to make and enter a melting blob of soap.

Your soap can be made in a loaf or a slab or in an individual mold. You can use any technique you wish. You can use HP, CP, M&P or any combo of them. You are required to tell us a little bit about your memory on which your soap is based.

Remember, you must make a soap specifically for the challenge. You may not enter a soap you made prior to it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is mine. We lived on a lake when I was growing up and our next door neighbors had a number of willow trees which shaded their yard near the lakefront. Summer memories don't come up for me without those willows with their long graceful branches sweeping in the breeze, making a lovely sound. They shed branches like dogs shed fur but we were lucky to be able to look at them without cleaning up after them, kind of like willow aunts and uncles. We no longer own our place but those neighbors still own theirs and they have a pig roast every 4th of July, to which we are invited. In a gut punch, we discovered this year that they cut down every single one of those trees. My soap is dedicated to them.
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.58.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.59.42 PM.png

I put the second picture in just because my countertop looks crazy dramatic! And we all need countertop drama in our lives. Made with epoxy and micas and micas make it relevant to this forum, of course.

I am also posting a link to a soap and story I made for JoAnna Schmidt's (former) blog challenge, The Soap Bar. It is in this vein. I like to write so the story is rather longer than I am expecting for this challenge, but the soap is just about the water.

http://thesoapbar.blogspot.com/2015/06/summer-loving-memories-dont-die.html

Have fun!!!

Last edited:
1. Primrose - summer is just around the corner here in the land of Oz :)

2. dibbles - so many memories...looking forward to the stories

3. SYT- summertime my favorite!

What an interesting and unique theme, newbie! So many memories come to mind but I'm not sure I can effectively reproduce any in soap. Your willows are gorgeous! I'm going to have to give this one some thought. Hmmmm....

4. Misschief - I have a day off coming up and I need to make more soap - 2 birds with one stone, I think.

4. Misschief - I have a day off coming up and I need to make more soap - 2 birds with one stone, I think.
5. scard- I'm in, I think I can still remember something o_O

5. scard- I'm in, I think I can still remember something o_O
6. MarnieSoapien - I have a memory or two :)

5. scard- I'm in, I think I can still remember something

7. jcandleattic - why not

8. cerelife - I live in the land of perpetual summer, so why not indeed?!

8. cerelife - I live in the land of perpetual summer, so why not indeed?!
9. msunnerstood - Im not ready for summer to be over

I am considering if I have time myself. We spent all day Monday looking at apartments in San Anotonio. I am temporarily going to be living there with my granddaughter so she can complete her Senior year of High School there. After a very long day and a 3 hour drive both ways (back to the Houston area), we were all exhausted (my DIL did all the driving, so she was even more exhausted.) We crunched the numbers, compared all the pros & cons and made a choice. Now it is set where she will live to go to school once I return in October. So I have to go back to Illinois, prep my house for my absence, pack up what to take with me for and 8 month stay elsewhere and prepare as much food as will fit into the garage freezer for my husband to fix for meals (he eats better when I do the cooking - his own words). Then we have plans for a trip in September (our anniversary) and I have SoapCon in Sept. In the meantime, granddaughter will attend HS in the school here until end of Sept.

So obviously, I probably won't have time to join in this challenge. I might change my mind because I might actually want to take a break from the other stuff long enough to make soap. I'll decide over the course of the month. But in the meantime, I'll be watching this thread and cheering folks along!

Back