Quantcast

Apple Cider Vinegar Soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

jlavehandcrafted

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question would be, if the vinegar mixes with the lye and forms sodium acetate, which acts like sodium lactate, then would the results be the same by just using sodium lactate? I always use sodium lactate in my soaps and I’m curious if using acv in place of water would add more conditioning qualities, or if it would just be redundant and actually make the bar brittle by using both. I’ve been making soap for a few years but really just starting to dig into the chemistry of it. It’s very addictive!

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not use SL but soap with vinegar at 50% in almost all my soaps, and I would guess you would end up with a very brittle soap and least, to begin with. Remember you have to add the extra lye to create the sodium acetate or you just up your superfat. Soaping with vinegar just fits my formulas well, allowing me to un-mold in hours not days freeing up my molds. I will mention I use Distilled Vinegar since it cost less than ACV.

jlavehandcrafted

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not use SL but soap with vinegar at 50% in almost all my soaps, and I would guess you would end up with a very brittle soap and least, to begin with. Remember you have to add the extra lye to create the sodium acetate or you just up your superfat. Soaping with vinegar just fits my formulas well, allowing me to un-mold in hours not days freeing up my molds. I will mention I use Distilled Vinegar since it cost less than ACV.
My guess is it would be overkill to use both. Using SL allows me to unmold most of my soaps within 6-8 hours. I also use cpop for a lot of my soaps which helps. My curiosity surrounding vinegar is thinking it would add conditioning benefits, but now I’m thinking maybe not. We live in a very dry, desert climate, high altitude and everyone has VERY hard water so I’m always looking for ways to keep a very hard bar while also being super conditioning. I’ve been playing a lot with my recipes, increasing the different fatty acids and different levels of SF, while decreasing cleansing #’s. I also add kaolin clay to most of my recipes.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I know at least one person has run into serious problems when she decided to use both vinegar and citric acid, both of which form salts when they react with lye. Salts in soap can be beneficial up to a point, but past that point, salts can turn the soap softer and/or rubbery. And salts definitely cut lather.

Recently it seems like many soapers are wanting to solve perceived or real problems by using more than one salt and/or acid in their soap without knowing whether just ONE salt or acid gives them the results they want. Or even no salt or acid. I'll be glad when this trend dies down a bit. My advice is to pick just one, use it in moderation, and see what you think.

jlavehandcrafted

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know at least one person has run into serious problems when she decided to use both vinegar and citric acid, both of which form salts when they react with lye. Salts in soap can be beneficial up to a point, but past that point, salts can turn the soap softer and/or rubbery. And salts definitely cut lather.

Recently it seems like many soapers are wanting to solve perceived or real problems by using more than one salt and/or acid in their soap without knowing whether just ONE salt or acid gives them the results they want. Or even no salt or acid. I'll be glad when this trend dies down a bit. My advice is to pick just one, use it in moderation, and see what you think.
Thanks Deeanna. I always enjoy your knowledge and input. I’ve been trying to “fine tune” my recipes and compare results with some of these things. I usually have 4-5 bars at a time in the shower comparing different properties!😂

Latest posts