Anyone used syrup in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MySoapyHeart

Bee Happy
Reaction score
Perhaps something in the line of this - Lyles Golden Syrup?

I know what to expect when using regular honey, Maple Syrup, powdered sugar, and granulated sugar from beets. I do not really think this will be much different, but it is something I was curious about.

It says it is partially refiners syrup. I don`t have much use for it otherwise since I have to watch my sugar intake like a HAWK, and it just sits there mocking me in all its golden delishiousness.

I am thinking 1 teaspoon PPO, since it is so concentrated.

Thank you in advance!

th_LylesGoldenSyrup_zpsj40elo5y.jpg

Anyone tried it?

I was actually wondering something similar, in regards to maple syrup. I live in a place with tons of local maple syrup so I thought it'd be neat to use in soap. I assume 1tsp PPO for most syrups would be a good guideline.

MySoapyHeart said:
Perhaps something in the line of this - Lyles Golden Syrup?
I've never used it--it's a type of molasses (treacle), right? I ask because molasses (in the States) has quite a bit of acidity and while I've never used that in soap either, I'm sure it would consume some of the lye. If it's similar to our molasses, you might need to adjust your SF.

toxikon said:
I was actually wondering something similar, in regards to maple syrup. I live in a place with tons of local maple syrup so I thought it'd be neat to use in soap. I assume 1tsp PPO for most syrups would be a good guideline.
I tap my maple trees and use the fresh sap as my soaping water. With a Maple FO and oatmeal, it's a good seller for me in these parts. It never gives me a problem, but sap is on average only 2% sugar. It takes a lot of time and energy (aka money) to boil sap into syrup--personally I'd rather not waste all that for a batch of soap when (for me at least) sap is free!

I have used Maple Syrup lots and lots of times, and like it well enough. It is easy to use, and I have never experienced any problems with it, no overheating, etc. It`s just that it is crazy expensive here, so not going to use it any more, it is simply not sustainable. Perhaps if I get to make a small business out of my venture, I might. But not feeling it making a vast difference measured up to say regular, granulated sugar.

I've never used it--it's a type of molasses (treacle), right? I ask because molasses (in the States) has quite a bit of acidity and while I've never used that in soap either, I'm sure it would consume some of the lye. If it's similar to our molasses, you might need to adjust your SF.

Lucky you with your own Maple trees!

No, it is not a molasses type of sugar that I have, but it is just as goey and slow as treacle/molasses is, but it is not acidic like treacle. We have that type here too, it is used in animal feeds and in baking (breads and cakes) and it is not the same as what I have.

Since this question is not exactly a trending topic, I`ll just try it next time I soap. After all, it can`t do much harm me thinks.

I`ll just mix it with the water I disolve my additives in, not going to put it in the lyewater, I never do that with my sugars unless I want the look of caramel.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

One last check could be to compare the amount of sugars per serving: i.e. check the nutrition facts. A tsp of sugar is roughly 5g, hoe much sugar (according to the label) is in 5g of the syrup? That should give you an idea of mow much to use

One last check could be to compare the amount of sugars per serving: i.e. check the nutrition facts. A tsp of sugar is roughly 5g, hoe much sugar (according to the label) is in 5g of the syrup? That should give you an idea of mow much to use

I may have been a bit unclear, it wasn`t the usage rate itself that was a concern, but if it would give off a reaction, like honey, that can make the batter overheat etc. I have used many different types of sugars, but honey made my soap gel fast the first time I used it 2 years ago, so since this is going to be my first time use this type of sugar I just wanted to hear if anyone has tried this type of sugar and if I could expect it to behave something in the line of honey.

But thanks for your input, great tip, I`ll check the nutrition facts! : )

ETA:
I just weighed 1 ts of sugar with a teaspoon type we use in Norway when measuring teaspoon, and the scale wobbled between between 3.5 & 4 grams, so interesting to see how standard measurements can vary. If I use the american type of spoon I got from Nurture Soap, that can measure teaspoon, tablespoon etc, then the ts weighs 5 grams. I always use the american teaspoon type, I find it more dependable to stick with. But I digress...

I may have been a bit unclear, it wasn`t the usage rate itself that was a concern, but if it would give off a reaction, like honey, that can make the batter overheat etc. I have used many different types of sugars, but honey made my soap gel fast the first time I used it 2 years ago, so since this is going to be my first time use this type of sugar I just wanted to hear if anyone has tried this type of sugar and if I could expect it to behave something in the line of honey.

But thanks for your input, great tip, I`ll check the nutrition facts! : )

ETA:
I just weighed 1 ts of sugar with a teaspoon type we use in Norway when measuring teaspoon, and the scale wobbled between between 3.5 & 4 grams, so interesting to see how standard measurements can vary. If I use the american type of spoon I got from Nurture Soap, that can measure teaspoon, tablespoon etc, then the ts weighs 5 grams. I always use the american teaspoon type, I find it more dependable to stick with. But I digress...

I thought soap seize with sugar? v

The simpler the sugar molecule the hotter the reaction because it reacts with lye faster. The more complex the sugar molecule the slower the reaction is. There is a marked difference between using granulated sugar and honey when using the same amounts in CP soap. Honey is much hotter because of the simpler molecule.

If this is high fructose it will be a hot one. Watch for volcanoing.

I'm following this thread. Please report back with your finding. ;)
I'm thinking it is a high fructose corn syrup?

It is probably syrup from sugar canes, partially refined, so no corn from what I could gather from different sources.

If this is high fructose it will be a hot one. Watch for volcanoing.

Will do! When I was doing this in my head I was aiming at planning towards the worst case scenario, so everything that doesn`t involve volcanoing/in-the-pot-full-on gel is a bonus! : P

Will report back when I do this. I have another batch planned first that I had my mind set to do, but after that I will make a smaller batch with this syrup.

I thought that sugar makes soap seize?

Never happened to me. I know alcohol can make soap seize, but not sugar. I have used up to 5 heaping tablespoons of table sugar in a 2 pound batch. It didn`t even gel on me.

But others may have something else to add to this : )

I thought that sugar makes soap seize?

You can rest assured that sugar will not make your soap seize. :) For what it's worth I use 5% sugar is almost all my batches and it has never, ever caused seizing. I've never heard of it happening to anyone else either. Now, certain FOs on the other hand....... :twisted:

IrishLass :)

I agree with Irish Lass -- sugar shouldn't make soap seize. If you added a fair bit of a sugary syrup at trace, I suppose you could cool the soap batter enough to get false trace, but I'm really skeptical about sugar causing seizing.

There are two general types of sugars -- reducing sugars, such as fructose and glucose, and non-reducing sugars, such as sucrose.

Table sugar and maple sugar have a high % of sucrose. These sweeteners tend to cause less discoloration in soap, because sucrose doesn't react as easily with NaOH or KOH as fructose and glucose do. Some discoloration can still occur, however, because these sweeteners usually contain a small amount of fructose and glucose as well.

Honey contains a high % of fructose and glucose. These sugars react with NaOH or KOH and thus cause soap to discolor more. If you've ever noticed almost invisible tiny bubbles rising from a lye solution that contains these sugars, that is carbon monoxide gas released by the chemical reaction of reducing sugars with alkali.

According to Wikipedia, the Lyle's golden syrup pictured in the first post is basically a very pale colored sugar and molasses mixture that has had its sugars "inverted," which means the sucrose has been broken apart into fructose and glucose. I would expect more discoloration from this sweetener than from table sugar.

Back